Chevy 350 bottom end knock - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 bottom end knock

I got a 5.7 liter Vortec engine that had a bottom end knock....I pulled it out & took the oil pan off & found that 1 of the rods had spun a bearing. I then checked the other rods & although the bearings were not spent, they were worn down. Of course the crank isn't perfect but it doesnt have any deep nicks in it either. I was wondering if I could go back w/ stock bearings or if I should use oversize bearings to maintain the correct oil pressure. Can someone please help poor peety???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Once it has spun a bearing, you can't just put new bearings back in, the journal that has spun will be ruined to the point of tearing up any new bearing you put in there.

The rod is trashed also, at the very least the big end is no longer round and of the correct diameter. The rod may be able to be saved by a machine shop if it isn't too bad, they will resize it to correct tolerances, or if it is too bad it will have to be replaced.

The crank may or may not be savable depending on how bad it is, the crank will have to be reground to the undersize the fully cleans up the surface on the spun journal. Only measurement will determine this, and the correct bearing size.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.....will I be able to tell w/ the naked eye that the rod is thrashed??? B/c this doesn't look that bad
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

There's also a good chance all the bearings aren't the same on all journals, I've heard the factory will mix uppers and lowers, in small size increments to achieve clearances due to variances in manufacturing.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetyweet
Thanks for the reply.....will I be able to tell w/ the naked eye that the rod is thrashed??? B/c this doesn't look that bad
When you say "spun bearing" I take that to mean that the bearing shell has turned(maybe many times) in the rod big end bore. If that has happened you won't be able to tell rod bore size or bore hole roundness by looking at it. A couple thousandths of an inch is all it takes to mess things up. Same with the crank.

Any honest machine shop will tell you that when a bearing spins there is no easy fix. Parts have to be carefully measured(dial bore guage and micrometers good to .0001") and scored parts reworked as necessary.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:58 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetyweet
I got a 5.7 liter Vortec engine that had a bottom end knock....I pulled it out & took the oil pan off & found that 1 of the rods had spun a bearing. I then checked the other rods & although the bearings were not spent, they were worn down. Of course the crank isn't perfect but it doesnt have any deep nicks in it either. I was wondering if I could go back w/ stock bearings or if I should use oversize bearings to maintain the correct oil pressure. Can someone please help poor peety???
I tried that once on a 283. Used some emory cloth, worked the crank and put new same size bearings in it. It only lasted a few months and spun a bearing again. Quick fix is a short time fix.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.