Chevy 350 build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 10:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 build

I got a 1979 camaro for free and it had a chevy 350 (2 bolt main) in it so i pulled the 350 and the tranny out of it and striped ithe engine down to the bare block. Now i am uncirtin as too wich parts to put on. I was woundering wich cam, pistons, crank, rods, intake, carb i should go with. I like the crane cams, and want a rough idal and also i am just going to get it homed insted of bored out, is this a smart idea or should i definitly get it tappered to make sure. I know alot of machanics but everyone seems to have diffrent opinions on the matter. This engine is going to be in a old pickup truck but i want it to be pushing around 375 -400 horse and have 10-1 compression. I am going to be running 202 fuley heads too if that makes any diffrence. I saw somewere that this engine only made 135 hp is that true??? sorry for all the questions, thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jditlfm; 08-10-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

If you can catch your fingernails on the ridge at the top of the cylinder your engine needs to be bored, most small block chevies with over 80,000 miles do! use a good set of cast flat top pistons and rings, as for a cam thats the builders choice, stay on the mild side, less duration lots of lift. The horsepower maker is the heads, get the best you can afford, NO Camelbacks, unless you can get them for next to free! Aftermkt heads are the cheapest investment for sbc horsepower. use a vac secondary carb on a dual plane street type intake, a good ignition and some street headers and you will have a great running, good sounding powerful street motor.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

The old 1 post, jump in and get your feet soaked. If you've never rebuilt an engine before, once you get it tore down you need to have the block cleaned then inspected. That determines which direction you are going to go. If you don't have the money to do it properly then you might as well just hand the money to someone else as the engine will give out a few miles down the road. What kind of money do you have to work with. If you only have a couple of hundred bucks give up the idea of pushing 400 horses out of it 'cuz it ain't gonna happen. At fifteen years old, you better concentrate on getting a good job and saving up some money and get things done right. I hate to sound like I'm preaching but I've seen so many things headed for the scrap heap because someone had some smoke blowed up their patoot by one of their buds saying that their car is pushing 500 horses because they put a cam and a 4 barrel on it. Grab some mags, read up on what it takes to rebuild an engine, go by the book, spend your money wisely, and give up on the 400 horses with a hone job and a cam.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:00 AM

Well have aund 1500 to put into the engine and i could get more. I have had the engine hot tanked and had them put the cam barrings and freez plugs, i have about 5 coats of chevy orange. The cam i am getting for my birth day, so i have around 1500 just for a crank, rods,piston, barrings, manifold, and a bore job if nessisary. All the rest of the parts i will paythe money i have left over and the money i make frome now till then. I make a good amount of money to be able to due this project. as for testing wich ones are you talking about magnaflex blueprinting,yeah right, tappered? thanks for all the help though.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

My suggestion is this. Take what you have to a reputable automotive machine shop. Explain to them what you want to do. They will tell you what you need checked andwhat you need to replace. I know that you are going to think that they are in it for the money. You would be right to an extent. They do the work for the money. They also get more work from treating you right and advising you right. You don't expect this to be your only engine do you? Not only will they tell you what you should do, but also what they can do and how much it will cost. Check around and find out who in the area is the best. Don't just ask your buddies. They will feed you a bunch of BS.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:22 PM

Well i just built a 300+hp SBC 350 for 900 bucks, But thats here in alabama.

Well anyway I bought a crank kit for 550$ which came with: Cast crank, Rings, Cam berrings, main/rod berrings, and hypertec flat top pistions, All seals and gaskets.

The cam is a 396 375hp blueprint with a 212/222 .50 duration with a 467/480 lift and 112 deg. lobe sep which was 100 bucks with lifters.

The rest of the money was in the block and head work which was just setting and freshing up the heads. If your not running NOS or turbos u dont need alot of money in it. If you have the money though for heads go with vortec which req a new intake to match the heads.

All in all u can build a decent SBC 350 for 1500 counting all the odds and ends.

Good luck in anything you do with it.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

how are you using a 375 HP 396 blueprint cam in a 350 ?
anyway those arent the specs for a 396/375... it would be 242/242 @ .050 .542/.542 114 LSA
Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

You'll prolly need to bore the block(if not great)if ya do go .030+.Have the block magnafluxed and boiled.Also have the shop install the freeze plugs and cam bearings.
I'd reuse the stock crank just have it polished or ground depending.Have the stock rods checked and resized,get a set of cheap cast flat top pistons.
I'd use the Camelhumps especially if they are 2.02s.I'm assuming you have them allready.If not then figure $300 to rebuild um,so if the buying price plus the rebuild cost outwieghts aftermarket then go that way.But if ya got um allready,IMO a $300 rebuild on double humps is way better than dropping $800 on a set of heads for a streetcar.
I'd use 1 5/8 header sand a good duel exhuast.A duel plane intake and a nice Holley carb.
Select your cam and intake/carb to match your rear gearing and tranny and weight and other engine specs.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

yep, your biggest cost is goign to be heads and machinework. YOu can use a white box cam and a cheap set of headers on it, along with a low dollar intake. Depending on how you do it you might be able to get away with around 1500, but 2 grand is probably a better guess-

K
Old 09-16-2004, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

As much as I like working on engines....if I had $1500 and could get more, I'd wait a while and get an already prepared crate motor and save yourself the headache...not to mention you'll have some type of warranty. I realize these motors are more money than $1500, but you could sell the one you have and add to the kitty.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.