Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chevy 350 build help
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimang
again thank you for the help, i understand to tearing down part and going to do now , i have done this in 2009 putting everthing new in. i just dont know how to tell what i got from there. to figure static compression ratio,will be done tearing down today and posting soon, thank you
When you get the heads off, put the engine on TDC and measure that cylinder's piston depth from the block deck to the piston deck. This can be done w/a depth micrometer, the depth measurement of a caliper or a straight edge and feeler gauges.

Then flip the heads upside down and the leveled head's chambers are filled with a 50% rubbing alcohol/50% water mix (to lower the surface tension, or water alone can be used) w/some food coloring added.

The head's combustion chamber is covered w/a clear piece of plexiglass w/a small fill and vent hole so the bubbles can be seen and 'chased' out the vent (or use a CD w/the plating removed by scraping the plated side 'backwards' w/a razor blade to pop the plating off). You use the cover over the chamber to keep the surface tension from fouling the measurement. A thin layer of grease or vaseline seals the cover to the deck. The valves are left in w/springs to hold them shut and a spark plug is installed as well, so the chamber will be watertight.

The piston voulme will almost always be published by the manufacturer, so with all that info and the head gasket compressed thickness, that will give you the static compression ratio.

Once you know the CR, you can then go about deciding on a cam or on what mods need to be made to run a cam you might have already chosen.