Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 350 cracked starter mounting hole w pics
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Starter Grinding Problems

Hey guys, Been reading the forum and all the great advice you have been offering regarding the GM 350 Starter grinding problems. Well, this is what worked for me finally, after months of disappointments:
1. Bought the expensive GM starter mounting bolts with the built in washers
2. Installed bolts and torqued to a full 45 pounds, further the bolts were a little longer than just the ones you get at Advance or Auto Zone, so they drove further up into the mounting pad which probably gave better stability.
3. Last and certainly not least, installed a starter mounting bracket. Probably the most important matter. There a number of different types and you must get the exact on for your application or make one that's really strong.
4. Measure the starter teeth and last distance from flexplate to exact what specified. Had to grind a little off the starter boss itself to get it closer and tighter to flexplate teeth.
By the way, my starter mount on the block is cracked a bit, so may have to weld in the future as Henry45 speaks of. But for now, I'm gonna enjoy.
There it is, started like a new car and thank God, no grinding as yet and it's been about 25 starts. Good Luck to you all, this is one of the most difficult issues I've dealt with in all my years of Hot Rodding and seems simple, BUT !