Chevy 350 engine knocking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 engine knocking

My dad has a 1972 El Camino with 350 CI engine and 4B Carb. It has 56000 miles, and the car rarely gets driven. Recently, it has developed a loud banging noise in the engine similar to the sound of a backfire. It's a very clean engine, so I know its not the exhaust. Im not sure if it's backfiring through the carburetor. How am I able to see if it's backfiring through the carburetor, and if it is what is causing that problem? I thought it might be a sticking valve, however, I have done some research and found it could be a worn camshaft, bent rod, etc. My dad is weary about me working with his cars internally, so I would like to be able to pinpoint the problem before I start working. Before I truly begin I plan to replace the gas with fresh gas and change the oil. I hate seeing a sick beauty. PLEASE HELP!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 AM

Last photo:

Its hard to pinpoint any problem relating to sound when there are so many different possible problems. If you can record the sound with your phone or camera and post the link on this site to youtube that would draw a better response.
Some possible abnormal noises from an engine can be rotating noises or reciprocating noises. A lot of noises sound similar from each of the following so you will need to ask an experienced ear at a garage if you are new to this.
1. Failed rod bearing
2. Bad lifter
3. Bad cam lobe
4.Cracked piston/ loose wrist pin.
5. Bent valve/ sticking valve in valve guide.
6. Cracked cast exhaust manifold
7. Blown head gasket
8 Old vee belts can develop a cracking sound.
9 Old bearings in water pump. grinding sound.
10 Loose camshaft thrust plate. ( cam moves back and forth and hammers lifters)
There are more than this which is why imo it is important to save yourself hours of chasing and get an experienced ear. Mechanics stethescopes are a valuable tool for pinpointing abnormal noises.
Goodluck
Al.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 AM
Old & Furious

Dont rule out the ever present bad spark plug wire they could be causing it to missfire. Easy to test just by removing one at a time and replacing it until the sound changes. also will help find if the sound is coming from a cylinder fireing or from a rod knock. Rod will still make noise for the most part.

I have herd a flexplate bolt come loose and make an aweful sound. But it was easy fix.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Also could just be a bent pushrod or broken rocker arm. I would pull the valve covers and check those out first.

Budget RVs
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

I've had a cracked flex plate make a low end rod knock type sound too, but it would go away once you gave it some r's which rods knocks usually don't do..lol
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainey48 View Post
My dad has a 1972 El Camino with 350 CI engine and 4B Carb. It has 56000 miles, and the car rarely gets driven. Recently, it has developed a loud banging noise in the engine similar to the sound of a backfire. It's a very clean engine, so I know its not the exhaust. Im not sure if it's backfiring through the carburetor. How am I able to see if it's backfiring through the carburetor, and if it is what is causing that problem? I thought it might be a sticking valve, however, I have done some research and found it could be a worn camshaft, bent rod, etc. My dad is weary about me working with his cars internally, so I would like to be able to pinpoint the problem before I start working. Before I truly begin I plan to replace the gas with fresh gas and change the oil. I hate seeing a sick beauty. PLEASE HELP!!
Do a compression test to see if there are one or more cylinders w/low compression. This could be caused by any number of things, but I'd be looking for a worn cam lobe, a broken valve spring or a bent pushrod for starters.

If a sparkplug has loosened or fallen out, that will make a loud popping noise, too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.