Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   chevy 350 into a 1974 international 150 pickup (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chevy-350-into-1974-international-150-pickup-220798.html)

bubba-21 06-20-2012 11:17 PM

chevy 350 into a 1974 international 150 pickup

I recently purchased a 74 international half ton pickup truck. Its 2 wheel drive and has the original v8. My question is, what modifications do I need to make to swap in a chevy 350? It has the original 4 speed manual tranny. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

327NUT 06-21-2012 12:58 PM

Well to put it simply.....it's called hot rodding. You pull the old engine and trans, lower the new engine and trans into the engine bay and find where it fits the best. Then there's the fabrication, you build engine and trans mounts or modify existing or donor car mounts to make it work. Driveline, exhaust, radiator, electrical, fuel line....etc.

75gmck25 06-22-2012 07:03 AM

The old International has become a popular truck, and the SBC chevy is probably the most common power plant for any swap. I'd just start using Google or some other search engine, and you will find someone else who has already gone through most of the pain.

You may have to consider swapping transmissions also, since adapters can sometimes get quite expensive. A GM TH350 is relatively inexpensive, easy to find, and very reliable. The TH700R4 is also good because of the overdrive, but will cost more. If you want to stick with a manual trans I would look at car transmissions, since the truck 4 speed is usually a 3 speed with a super-low first.

Bruce

OneMoreTime 06-22-2012 07:56 AM

There are universal motor mounts which get you halfway there as you will need to weld some tabs in the chassis to meet up with the motor side mounts..Wiring may or may not require some wrangling to get that sorted out..Would be better to change both engine and trans as a unit as adapters can get to be a zoo and drivelines are easier to make with the proper ends and in the correct length..

Sam

bubba-21 07-19-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. It sure put me in the right direction.

1971BB427 07-20-2012 09:06 AM

If you want to try to keep the manual trans you should get your hands on a Chevy stick bellhousing and check your trans fit into the bellhousing while it's on the new 350. You may find the bolt pattern and trans will work, and possibly only need to use a International clutch disc with the Chevy flywheel, pressure plate.
The automatic is a good way to do it cheap, and maybe even cheaper than buying the flywheel, pressure plate, cluth, etc. to save your stick trans.