Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy 350 Oil Filter/Adapter

20K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  fordss 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
On Rufus I replaced the rad and wanted to replace the oil cooler lines at the same time.seemed like they where leaking from rust at the block clamp.The wired connections with the proper tool isn't too bad and it looked like a easy job to do.Then I found the adapter leaking in the back by the block.Really hard to see back there what is what.So I get the gasket kit ref'ed in the posted link.The "O-ring" in the gasket kit just free floats on the adapter/block and doesn't set into a groove like the o-ring of a oil filter.If the engine is in a engine stand flipped over,that isn't a issue not being in a vehicle,but if it is in a vehicle it is impossible to see the back side and if the rubber o-ring is centered.So the first time I try to put on the adapter the rubber o-ring gets pinched in the back and dumps my fresh oil change all over the shop floor.At first I thought I over tightened the Wix oil filter.So I go and buy another Wix filter and ,yes,more oil.I get everything cleaned up<real pita>install the second oil filter,replace the lost oil and start it up again.Now I'm by myself,so I can't watch where it is leaking while someone else runs it.Yep,it dumps the oil all over the place again.Damm it.So I clean everything up again I take all beck apart again to find the pinched rubber oil ring.Think to myself damm GM with their BS designs.Got me thinking about this engine runs well and aside from this issue doesn't have a problem.Also,how unreliable the rubber o-ring connection is<seems they all leak to one degree or another>and if one broke loose going down the road at 65 mph,it would cost me a good running engine.Lastly how I didn't want to continue to torture this engine and having to continue to clean up trying to get the o-ring centered.I am very careful about my mechanics and I have been at this for a very,very,longtime.

I know of a number of guys because of this design flaw that have done a oil cooler delete.You take the center threaded part out of the adapted by using a huge male metric socket down inside and then thread that into the block and then simply screw the oil filter on that.Done,simple, and reliable.Having worked at a Chevy engine plant as a engine tester,I know it is more than likely GM designed a oil cooler just to cover their butts for any kind of end user.Truth is the oil cooler in 99% of use really doesn't do much.Deducted in that 1% of the time isn't worth the risk.

I suggest that you put on the adapter some Vaseline to help hold it in place if you insist on continuing to use the oil cooler.And that being such a sensitive sealing surface you don't want to use any kind gasket material that could break loose and get int the oil.Kind of part of the logic behind the Vaseline.

Good luck,think over what I have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.