Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 350 possible edelbrock carb. problem. Need help
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 possible edelbrock carb. problem. Need help

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of some help. I recently purchased a 1922 model t with a 1978 chevy 350 30 over. I found out its got a .502 lift .298 duration crane cam. The carb is an edelbrock 1400 series 600 CFM. The previous owner bought it and drove it a couple of times in the 8 or so months he owned it. The carb is around 6 month old previous owner purchased.

I had a mechanic check it out and this is what he did. Adjusted carb choke, idle mixture and idle speed. Determine TDC for #1 cylinder. Re-mark balancer. Reset ignition timing for 35 degrees total timing at 3500 rpm. Disconnect vacuumed advance.

I'm having an idle issue. It starts good and once it warms up it idles ok, but once I go for a spin and make it to a light it starts idling low again to a point that it almost shuts off. I was getting it to idle at 1000rpm but it would drop to 500 and lower. I took the carb apart and cleaned it out and replaced the gaskets I didn't rebuild because it isn't that old. I had found what looked like a gel in there probably the ethanol from sitting or something. After that it still doing it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated I'm starting to get frustrated.

Here are a couple of videos I took one has bad lighting I apologize for that.

Edelbrock - YouTube

Rat rod bad idle - YouTube