Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 350 starter issues
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 starter issues

I found an old beat up chevy out in a field and got it to run, but I'm stumped with the starter. I have went through 3 starters now, they all do the same thing, they work fine for a few days and then start grinding and popping, then one day they'll crack their housings, rendering them useless. I have tried 3 different starters. Two of the starters had the straight bolt pattern, but they were slightly different in pinion gear locations....one out further than the other. And I tried the staggered bolt patterns but, as I know now from reading on here, those starters only work on the bigger flywheels(mine has the smaller one). I've tried shimming them but I was shimming them on both sides with the shims that reach all the way from bolt to bolt. I checked the engine I.D.'s and I'm sure the engine is a 1975 350. If someone has had this problem PLEASE help me! I don't have any money for anymore starters or to pay a mechanic and I'm a newbie to old chevys, but trying to learn. Please share your knowledge with me.