Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy 350 Starter problems

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
So heres whats going on , I have a 1970 chevelle , had a 307 in it out of a 68 Chevelle which had the original starter and when the starter got hot the car wont start so i ordered a new powermaster starter , put it in the car starts but the starter is staying engaged when the car is turned on , bought another different starter same thing and another , same thing , 3 different starters same problem . So I figured id just put the old original one back in untill the motor swap in a few weeks .... A few weeks later the old 307 is out and the new built 350 is in , go to put a new powermaster in and same problem so thoughts are hmm maybe the flywheel is messed up, swap out the flywheel with a new 168 tooth b&m flywheel and a new starter . Same problem the car is starting great and the starter is sticking and getting caught , mind u there are 6 shims in the car already ... what else is left to do ????? HELP!!!! :confused:

#2 ·
Vwells91 said:
So heres whats going on , I have a 1970 chevelle , had a 307 in it out of a 68 Chevelle which had the original starter and when the starter got hot the car wont start so i ordered a new powermaster starter , put it in the car starts but the starter is staying engaged when the car is turned on , bought another different starter same thing and another , same thing , 3 different starters same problem . So I figured id just put the old original one back in untill the motor swap in a few weeks .... A few weeks later the old 307 is out and the new built 350 is in , go to put a new powermaster in and same problem so thoughts are hmm maybe the flywheel is messed up, swap out the flywheel with a new 168 tooth b&m flywheel and a new starter . Same problem the car is starting great and the starter is sticking and getting caught , mind u there are 6 shims in the car already ... what else is left to do ????? HELP!!!! :confused:
Six (6) shims for a total of how much? Did you use a paper clip to gage the gap? It may be an electrical issue causing the solenoid wire to stay hot when the key is in the run position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.