chevy 350 starter problems!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 05:17 PM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 350 starter problems!!!

Hi all,

I've done a few posts on this, but, i've tried everything that everyone has suggested to fix the problem. The starter on my 350 chevy is really noisey when i go to start the car, the bolts are the correct ones, they fit in the grooves in the starter itself. I have a rear support on it, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I've pulled the starter off several times, and i still cannot determine why it is so noisey. I've put a shim in before but it just seems to be more noisey. How far is the starter supposed to be away from the flexplate? Does anyone have a suggestion i havent tried to get this thing to work right?

thanks a lot

Also, i didnt know if this matters or not but my flexplate is 168 tooth. I have an oem starter. I heard that originally a chevy came with a 153 tooth flywheel so i was thinking maybe the starter did not match up with the flywheel

Advertisement

Last edited by zipfactor; 10-16-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 05:27 PM

I've read somewere that the gap between the starter gear,and flexplate should be about the thickness of a paperclip.Just open the clip up and slide the end of it between the two gear's,It also stated that you can use only have a shim on one side of the starter or the other to get proper gap. Hope this help's
Old 10-16-2003, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

You might try one of the Mini starters most have a lot of adjustment, or try a new nose or drive housing not one from a rebuilt starter but New one from GM. You should be using a staggered bolt pattern starter with the big flywheel ,168 tooth.

Last edited by roys63; 10-18-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:23 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

What condition are the teeth on the flywheel in?

Is the flywheel cracked?

Are there any cracked welds that hold the ring gear to the flywheel?

Have you tried a different starter?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:45 PM

HEY ZIP; It might be a bad bendix in the starter itself. The bendix is the throw out bearing and spring assembly. If you have starter out of car use set of jumper cables and see if bendix pushes pinion gear all the way out and does starter motor run smooth. Sorry to hear your having problems...I have been there with starters on 350. I finally put on a mini gear reduction type with more power. If you take starter off and take to Auto Zone, Advance or other auto parts store or auto electrical repair shop they will check it no charge ...DAVE...Just say a little prayer tonight before you go to bed
Old 10-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Chevy sittin' low

I too, would check the teeth for cracks or breaks. My starter used to do this but it was just coming loose all of the time, so I used thread locker with lock washers. As for gap clearance, I bought mine from Autozone and it cam with a feeler gauge and instructions, maybe you could shmooze the guys to hook you up with one out of a new starter. Like Dave E Shank said, it could be a bad bendix also, just have a parts store test it, or do it yourself, it is easy to spot and hear.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Zip

I've seen many, many starters that need shimmed, if your using the long shim that has 2 holes in it, your moving the starter away from the ring gear, you may need to move it in?, try just shimming the outside with 1/2 of the shim and see if it gets quieter!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Thanks all you guys for helping me out

I figured out what the problem was....

I bought the starter from advance auto parts and the starter was the wrong one for a small block chevy. Although it fit, the pinion gear would be too far away from the flexplate. I got the other starter last night and put it in there, its a lot quieter than the other one. Thanks for all your guys help though

i have one more question though...

When i turn the car over, the pinion will stick in the flexplate....how do you stop that from occuring, and also, how far should the pinion be engaging into the flexplate, when the pinion got stuck, i looked at it and it was only half way in the flexplate teeth...

thanks all

Last edited by zipfactor; 10-17-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:44 PM

HEY ZIP: Glad you got problem fixed. If pinion gear is hanging up on flexplate you need to move started away from flexplate with shims. You can shim both bolts or just one until you can fit a paper clip between gear tooth and bottom of flex plate. You can put screw driver on pinion gear and pull it out onto flexplate to check clearance....GOOD LUCK....DAVE.... See what saying a little prayer can do....Ya did say a little prayer last night didn't ya???
Old 10-18-2003, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

Hey yea i did say a little prayer. I put two shims in that starter already and it still hangs up, guess ill keep going to i stops hanging up heh.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

I am having the same exact problem for the last month. Starter goes on off on off. BUt everytime i take it off and reinstall it, it works fine for a day or two, then back to crap. i have continually tried different shim combos that do the same thing. I haven't yet tried just shimming one side though. This is getting real old. I HOPE you have better luck than i am having! I also have taken it back to the place i bought it to have it checked and it reads fine. I NEED HELP TOO!!! LOL
Old 10-18-2003, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

my guess would be your starter isnt lined up right and it is binding up, shimming one side of it would probably solve it
Old 10-18-2003, 03:41 PM

HEY ZIP: Hang in there and post how you solved the problem. I finally went to a mini- starter and it solved meshing problem, hot starts and other problems. I tried a number of OEM type starters and didn't have much success with any of those type.....DAVE
Old 10-18-2003, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Take that junk starter back and try another the starter , they should bolt up with out any shims!!!... The shims will cause problems later and it will never be Right!
Old 10-18-2003, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

I put 4 shims on the starter and it engages correctly and meshes right with the flexplate. So we'll see how it goes, if i start having problems again i think i will go with a mini-starter.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.