chevy 350 timing problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 350 timing problems

i have a chevy 350 1984 STOCK motor bare stock except for the headers i recently took a 6.2L diesel out of my blazer and put this 350 in it but now when i put a timing light on my harmonic balancer it shows the timing mark on the others side and when i try to turn the distributor back to 8 or 10 btdc the engine dies before i get close to that any ideal we have restabbed the distibutor and replaced dist cap,coyle,rotar new spark plugs and plug wires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 AM

oh and yesterday we turned the fuel mixture screws all the way in my dad says it shouldnt run unless it has a vacumn leak so today i checked all my bolts and found one tried to start the motor and my dad is right there so i gues i need a and i was wondering if a vacumn leak could be having something to do with the advanced timing? if i had to gues 30 or 35 degrees
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Timing will never ever cause a vacuum leak. If you have never put new gaskets on since 84', i suggest you do so. You are best off timing it by where it runs the smoothest, has the best throttle response, and doesn't backfire. If you try to set it to factory specs and you don't have a new timing chain in it, it is going to be retarded and won't run right.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM

new timing chain and well ur wrong i found a vacumn leak today plugged it started it timed it pluged vacumn advance and it moved the distributor slightly and timed it again the vacumn leak wouldnt let it idle at a normal 8 btdc so my problem was the vacumn leak
Old 09-24-2010, 03:13 PM

I have bought new timing chains that were bad, you will have to play with it and see where is runs best at. Most 350 runs best at 36 degress at 3k rpm with the vacum unpluged. I assume you are using an HEI dist. Chevy makes 3 different ones with curves different in all 3. So that is why I say you may have to play with it, because of slack in the chain and which dist you use. Just one more note, in an older motor when you do get it set and start hot rodding it will jump timing. If what run out the all over the ground when you shut it off, chance the timing chain and gears. Oh yea, are you using a detent cable, if you are not that may change things for you. Good luck
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM

my timing chain is as tight as it can be and this is just a temporary motor until i get my other 350 here the motor runs fine now and i just wanted to thank u all for ur advice i do appreaceate it

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.