Chevy 350 valve adjustment(new roller rockers) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 valve adjustment(new roller rockers)

Alright so Ive got alot buttoned down to where im likin' things but just got new roller rockers, electric fuel pump and reg, since the mechanical pump is crankin out +14! Anyway just want to make sure im doing this right:

Leaving the intake manifold on since there are zero leaks basically all i can do is watch the pushrods right?

1) get motor to TDC and i can do cylinder #1

2) I can just watch my push rods and they should drop down in firing order and I can the do each cylinder as each pushrod falls down and should be done in one full turn to aviod rubbing off too much of the cam and crank lube.

Correct?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

I would never set valves using the cylinder at TDC method, why? because of the overlap of a camshaft, the two valve being open at the same time for a short period..The best method i think is to do the E.O.I.C Exhaust open, Intake Closed.. Do one valve at a time one cylinder at a time weather you are using a hydraulic or solid lifter cam.. Basically as the exhaust valve begins to open, set lash on intake side.Then rotate engine.. As the intake valve opens, then begins to close, as the intake valve is almost closed, set lash on the exhaust valve..This way you know your getting the lifter on the heel of the cam lobe for proper lash adjustment. There are many other ways guys use to set lash that work, But this method is I think the easiest way to understand it for most..

Hope this helps

Last edited by 67-4-fun; 08-25-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There's a Crankshaft Coalition article on the EO/IC Method (Exhaust Opening/Intake Closing) procedure HERE, including instructions on how to make yourself a timing tape and how to be sure your timing marks are correct.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Last photo:

Seems to be alot of different opinion on this! I just went through the same thing with my build. I ended up using the TDC method. But I haven't fired it up yet to tell if it's ok. Fingers crossed! The TDC method just seems more simple to do and easier to understand.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt
Seems to be alot of different opinion on this! I just went through the same thing with my build. I ended up using the TDC method. But I haven't fired it up yet to tell if it's ok. Fingers crossed! The TDC method just seems more simple to do and easier to understand.
it may seem easier, but you have to understand depending on your overlap in your camshaft, the exhaust valve may not be set exactly the way it should be leaving a bit loose, you might be-able to get by a bit on a hydraulic lifter as there more forgiving, but solid lifter... NO WAY will the lash be right using the TDC method, you could be off your lash as much as 15-20 thou
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

I just did the firing order method on my build 350 sbc oem roller style setup and just got it done this weekend and it was just fine. I am running a hydraulic roller cam though as stated anything mechanical cam you really have to be correct on things. I just got my engine on tdc compression stroke on number 1 cylinder and adjusted both valves then did a quarter of a turn next set of valves in firing order etc. I do the pushrod up and down method not the spin method as it can be really hard to tell when you get zero lash as I learned from my past mistakes and its easy to over tighten valves and have them open. I do zero lash then a half turn past and tighten them down and lock them as I am using full rocker arms. Hope that helps.
Eric
Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
I just did the firing order method on my build 350 sbc oem roller style setup and just got it done this weekend and it was just fine. I am running a hydraulic roller cam though as stated anything mechanical cam you really have to be correct on things. I just got my engine on tdc compression stroke on number 1 cylinder and adjusted both valves then did a quarter of a turn next set of valves in firing order etc. I do the pushrod up and down method not the spin method as it can be really hard to tell when you get zero lash as I learned from my past mistakes and its easy to over tighten valves and have them open. I do zero lash then a half turn past and tighten them down and lock them as I am using full rocker arms. Hope that helps.
Eric
Exactly
If you're using hydraulic lifters, and a feeler gauge v.s. Waiting for chatter to go away you'll be pretty darn close using TDC method.

Youtube search-" boxwrench-valve adjustment" I haven't had any problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.