Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy 3500 fuel problem

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DENCOUCH 
#1 ·
I have a question about automatic fuel transfer between tanks on a 2005 Chevy 3500.

I was left stranded today with an out of fuel rig...

Monday when I fueled, I filled both tanks, and right after leaving the station, the fuel gauge dropped to E and the low fuel lamp lit.

The mechanics at the motor pool told me to keep driving it if it was drivable, and that I did... until it ran out of fuel today. The boneheads then left me to get my rig & myself back to the facility since regulations forbid them from using our tow equipment of "Out of Fuel" vehicles. This is considered an operator's error.

Not only did I run out of fuel, but it was fount that the rear tank never transferred its fuel to the system! I was out of fuel with one of the tanks still full.

I have the gauge on E, the low fuel lamp lit and one full tank.... any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I am unfamiliar with the system on that truck but have access to a data base that can tell me what i don't know. But, if the system is designed to automatically transfer fuel when one tank runs out (meaning there is no dash mounted switch), there may be a problem with a switching valve or circuit. I believe that your Chevrolet will have a body control module which may control or at least monitor some or all of those functions. You should probably take it to a shop to have it diagnosed & properly repaired. You don't have to take it to a dealership unless you have some kind of extended factory warranty. Many independent shops have very sharp knowledge & skills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.