Hot Rod Forum banner

chevy 350ci engine

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  wiretwister 
#1 ·
I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND DUMB BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM.I BOUGHT 1930 MODEL A COUPE HOT ROD WITH A CHEVY 350 CI ENGINE IN IT. THIS CAR WAS BUILT IN 1960. THE NUMBERS ON THE ENGINE WHICH I TOOK OFF THE RIGHT FRONT ENGINE BLOCK ARE T1215CPB.HOW CAN I FIND OUT THE YEAR MAKE OF THIS ENGINE.

#2 ·
I couldn`t find any suffix of CPB, but, there is a date casting on the back of the block on the bell housing, it will read something like A 5 0 which would be A= January 5 =5th 0 = 1970 or whatever year the casting number, which is also on the bell housing, was cast. T sands for Tonawanda engine plant, 12 = december 15 = 15th

#6 ·
THE REASON I WAS POINTING THAT OUT IS IF YOUR CAR WAS BUILT IN 1960, YOU WOULD HAVE A 265 OR 283. I WAS CURIOUS IF THIS WASN'T A TYPING ERROR, AND I WAS GENUINELY CONFUSED WITH YOUR POST. SOOORRRRYYYY! :rolleyes:

#7 ·
HEY DOUBLE VISION GUESS WHAT? AFTER YOUR SUGGESTION I FOUND THE NUMBERS 355909 LOCATED ON REAR OF THE BLOCK AT THE DRIVERS SIDE. USING THE TECHNICAL DATA ITEM LISTED AT THIS SITE AND SEARCHING THROUGH TO CHEVY SMALL BLOCK ENGINE CASTING NUMBERS I FOUND THIS. IF I READ THE CHART RIGHT THIS ENGINE IS 1976 262CID. BOY WAS I SURPRISED I WAS TOLD BY THE SELLER IT WAS A 350 CID. THANKS CHECK ME OUT

#11 ·
Wiretwister- I looked up the the number you got off your block (355909) in my numbers book, and it says you have a 76-79 305 cid. My book has had conflicting information with nastyz28.com's info once before, and my book was right. Even if it's a 305, it would still be a disappointment from having a 350, just not nearly as bad. :)

Are we feeling better today, or am I still a smart ***? :D

#12 ·
he is right about not making a 350 in 1960 if you really need to know go to local race track[roundy roundy] and find engine inspector and have him run a volume test.you could also pull a valve cover and get a casting number off head. not real accurate but close also are the valve cover bolts staggered? that would make it a pre1960 motor last resort pull a head 4" bore is not a 260 or 305

#13 ·
BsTmech THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND I OWE YOU AN APOLGY FOR MY PREVIOUS COMMENT. I GUESS I WAS JUST VENTING MY ANGER ON YOU WHICH WAS CHILDISH,FOR HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE DEALING WITH PARTS HOUSES.SEEMS YOU CANNOT BUY PARTS UNLESS YOU HAVE CAR MAKE,MODEL AND ENGINE SIZE. SORRY WIRETWISTER

#17 ·
THANKS M HENRICKS; I CHECKED OUT WWW.MORTEC.COM WEBSITE AND FOUND IT TO HAVE LOTS OF INFORMATION. LOOKS LIKE I HAVE 305CID MADE IN 76-79 AND NOT A 350CID WHICH I WAS LED TO BELIEVE. ONE OTHER THING WHILE I HAD THE OIL PAN OFF I CHECKED THE BOTTOM SKIRT ON ONE PISTON. IT MEASURED 3.75 IN. WHICH CONFIRMS THE 305CID. THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.