Chevy 366 Big Block - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Dan
Something I'm not understanding here.........Everyone says the 366 is crap, build a 383 instead...... A 383 is a 4" bore 350 block, with a 3.75" 400 crank. The 366 already has a 3.75" stroke, and the bore only needs .065" taken out to make an even 4". A cheap small block 350 piston could even be used in the 366. A 6" rod 350 uses a 1.260" pin height. That piston used with a 7.1" rod (Talk about pushing the long rod theory to the limit) would put you in the ballpark depending on what your deck measures. A small cut off the piston tops may be needed to get a zero deck. We are talking about the same motor in a bigger, stronger package.................

Heads........The 366 did come with heads that where "Small" for a big block. They aren't all that small for a small block sized motor. A stock oval port head will flow 250cfm, easy.

You will have the weight penalty of the big block. Every article I have ever seen, where a Big-Block vs. Small-Block shoot out is is done, the big block always wins. More horsepower, more torque, and quicker drag strip times. The big block was able to make the extra power needed to carry the added weight.

I don't see any reason to not use the 366 in a street rod application. Cost wise, with a free motor, he isn't going to have much more in it than if he where to build a 383 small block. Dan
Well there is a few good reasons for not useing the 366 one of the reasons would be that the 366 is a very low end torque engine they are not ment for high rpms. You r pushing the 366 when u pass the 3700 rpm mark they will not take it for very long. They are ment for trucks that rely on that torque to pull heavy louds there is now use for them engine to rap high because they will pull the same load at 2000 rpms that a 350sbc will pull at 5000 rpms they r not ment to go down the track and if u r gonna build them to run down the track u r sinking to much money into an engine sink it into a sb or even a stroker u wont be able to do much with the bore like i said there ment for pulling gm brought them out off the facorty to pull not run 7 sec.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well there is a few good reasons for not useing the 366 one of the reasons would be that the 366 is a very low end torque engine they are not ment for high rpms. You r pushing the 366 when u pass the 3700 rpm mark they will not take it for very long. They are ment for trucks that rely on that torque to pull heavy louds there is now use for them engine to rap high because they will pull the same load at 2000 rpms that a 350sbc will pull at 5000 rpms they r not ment to go down the track and if u r gonna build them to run down the track u r sinking to much money into an engine sink it into a sb or even a stroker u wont be able to do much with the bore like i said there ment for pulling gm brought them out off the facorty to pull not run 7 sec.

I have been worrying about this since January of 2004..........You sound VERY knowledgeable, and You have explained everything quite well. I want to thank you for making all of this clear for me.........I now know exactly what direction I need to go...............Dan
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a GMC 702 V-12
Wiki Edits: 44

366 bare block

The GM truck block is a heavy duty block with a steel crank and four bolt mains. The rods too are of significant strength. I went round and round on this as there is a 366 complete motor sitting in my garage. If money was no object, and because I like building odd things, I would make it into an odd stroke 454. I would use tall deck aftermarket heads and keep the RPM below 6500. Now if you come across the 427 truck motor you have something that is more worthy of messing with as you can get some significant bore on it vs the 366 where you will be near cylinder wall limits just to get to the 427 bore size.

If you are looking to put something together with a broad torque band then take your 366, get a single plane tall deck intake, roller rockers, comp cams solid roller cam with matching springs(I can get you the number), with Crower HPO roller lifters and an 850 cfm carb. Be sure your have heads that do flow as good as the old oval ports (not that they were meant to scream put this combo is for a broad power range). Run a 2900 to 3200 stall thru a modified TH 400 with the internal mods listed on Hotrodders.com for increasing torque capacity and keep your gearing between 3.08 and 3.44. You will not be disappointed. It will make power from just over 3000 and all the way to 6500 rpm. I dare say, Way more power than ANY small block can pull on the street. I built one based on a 396 block that is .060 over and it's pulling my 427 that is running the Merc 502 hydraulic roller race cam.

In the long run, you will have invested the machine work and engine rebuild which is not that much money. You can always sell any intake or heads.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Man, this thread keeps on taking on new life, to think it started out so many years ago, now it`s beyond wearing diapers. Bratty kid too, I guess it don`t like the name 366.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhot123

This thread is over a year old, actually more like 2.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
This thread is over a year old, actually more like 2.

Actually, more like 7-1/2 years.....
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Actually, more like 7-1/2 years.....
Greetings from the future! Wonder if that guy ever got his 366 in order?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I gotta get me a set of them "tall deck aftermarket heads".

tom
Old 10-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I got just the answer Tom. We`ll get a set of merlins and weld up the valve cover rails so they sit up higher than the carb and call them "Tall Deck heads"
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM

The 366 block is fundamentally the same as any other 10.200 deck BBC. Same bearings bores, 4 bolt caps, bellhousing, etc. The cylinder walls on the ones I checked were about .300" thick. I would bore these to 4.125 so a good selection of rings are available. These make excellent street blown engines. There is no reason to build a small crank snouted SBC when you have the heft of BBC cranks at your disposal. These work well with small chambers and long strokes; the smaller chambers being more detonation resistant in blown engines. Stock truck rods are strong enough for most uses. You should be able to use a long Chrysler style rod about 6 3/4" C-C length to keep blower piston weight down. With a 4" piston, cylinder walls are strong enough for anything.

A blown BBC 366 has the potential to out HP any blown SBC on the planet. The 366 has never appealed to the "bigger is better" crowd. I believe these engines could have owned "BB" Gas back in the late 60's.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 AM

Double Dare 366

This thread won't die! so I am going to dig up my 396 L2242 hi compression pistons that have sat on the shelf for over a decade. Then I am going to see my old buddy Carl who retired as a school bus mechanic for Miami and has at least a dozen 366 blocks laying around. If a 366 can bore to 4.094 and I slip in a 4.250 crank left over from the Miami vice days, the only thing I would need is some longer rods, who knows? Maybe something to this? Worst case scenario a 4.000 454 crank if the 4.25 would not clear up at .040! I figure since this thread won't die we need a class project, ,,,,,,, hmmmmm there aren't any stock bore 396 blocks to use these pistons on so what the heck I am going to see if I can scare up a set of rods long enough to make some sense of this set up, Time for tech inspector and the rest of you guys to chime in with suggestions, The intake spacers show up on racing junk so I think the only real budget busters are long rods and that dang adjustable collar distributor. Any suggestions on rods sizes for a 454 crank and the option of a 4.250 crank??
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM

i just bought an 86 chevy 3/4 ton that has a 366 in it that come from a school bus and this thread has been the most info ive found on this engine
im hoping on this truck to be a good project for my son and i
Old 05-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlymaple83
i just bought an 86 chevy 3/4 ton that has a 366 in it that come from a school bus and this thread has been the most info ive found on this engine
im hoping on this truck to be a good project for my son and i
Probably our monitor needs to peel off all the 366 stuff and build a sub directory as was done for modern EFI engines, as questions about this beast keep coming back and it's just quirky enough of an engine to fill a little register by itself.

Bogie
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM

Don't count me out

I have been following the thread and it is good info on the 366. A great exchange. I am looking at a converted bus with a 366. From what I have read, it would be fine around town but not for open road travel. It has a 4 sp manual tranny. I just don't want to run it at highway speeds and find it can't take the high rpms for long without "burning a hole in the piston". I considered changing the rearend to something better.
I know this isn't hotrod talk but the thread has been pushing the 366 under stress conditions. I am not some old man ready to cruise in the left lane. I had built a 53 Chevy sedan delivery, a vortec 4.3 in a suzuki that outran mustangs, a 69 mustang that was factory built with a 12" clutch and 3sp. I am looking at the bus for a project that will last and turn heads too.
Originally, the plan was to shorten the exhaust to a side exit, change the final drive and look at options for the carb but I heard that the intake has pins to use a nonstandard carb for governing. If I change the intake it means spacers.
Am I on the right track? I don't want to pass up the deal on this bus. It is set up right and the price is right but I am leery of running that motor.
thanks and I will keep reading.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 AM

10 year old thread, obsolete engine(usable but why)
get a stock 454 with over drive and anywhere you go parts will be available
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.