Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy 383 help

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  gofastz 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking to build my first Chevy 383. Obviously, I am looking to get the most power possible out of this motor. I will be running 93 pump gas all the time. I have many questions. I am looking to build this motor on a budget. So, I don't see aftermarket heads or intake being used unless I can get them at a good price. How would you build this motor if you were me. What factory heads and intake would you use? Which headers and camshaft would you use? What compression ratio? What Rpm's to spin to? What brand/size carburetor? I have been around motors long enough to know the combination is what makes or breaks the build not always the money invested. Trying to decide if I should go with a high compression and bleed it off with a large camshaft or stay conservative with the cam? Like I mentioned earlier I am looking for a motor with the most torque I can squeeze out of it while not breaking the bank. I don't mind spinning the motor up some as well as long as the bottom end can handle it. I am starting to gather up my parts and need a good direction. Also, if possible could you give an estimate of what your combination will make in hp/tq.

#27 ·
cool rockin daddy said:
Very little actual difference on street between Performer and Performer RPM. QUOTE]

Have you ever built a Edelbrock, Performer or RPM engine? The head demands are much different. They have different port size/ plenum volume because the velocity needs to be there. Go and install the the RPM intake to a Performer cammed 8.5:1 350, it will loose much of the bottom end the cam is trying to produce. The Performer cam, and performer intake alone , will do a burnout. That same 8.5:1 350 with just a RPM intake won't do much . However on some dyno somewhere, the increased plenum volume probably shows a hp gain at the top end.

Magazines push certain things like,, the RPM intake, the holley vacuum secondary carb , the XE268 cam, 3.73 gears, fake articles about falsely rated engine builds, etc.

A 350 hp ,350 4bbl, 4 speed, 2000lb T bucket, will leave the ground and fly.

#28 ·
i have a 350 with the eddy performer camshaft in it with kb flattops and 461 double hump heads, a performer intake and performer 600 manuel choke carb, with 15/8 headers it pushes 10.1cr, it dont do a burnout near as good as my z/28, but theres a bigg power diff there, that 350 mite be putn out 300-310hp if that, the z/28 puts out 357hp and 406tq now when i change the intake to the rpm or the rpm air-gap ill prb gain 60hp and no tellin how much on the tq.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.