Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 383 Roller Build (cont.....)
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
A low deck 350 wont take a 4 inch crank(that I am aware of) The 3.875 crank just barely fits(unless there is a new crank Im not aware of.So,401 from some GM 350 blocks is the max. The 4 inch crank goes into a 400 block to make a 434(thats what I have)

Ive been trying to price out a boosted engine myself. So far I dont see building an LS 5.3(cheapest core) that makes decent power for less than 12k
some members here can piece meal used turbos for a lot less.I dont see how
hope someone will step up with a full parts list???
Vinnie this is off topic but the cheapest turbos are not used. Actually the junk yard usally wants a few bucks for them. But a remanufactured turbo from garrett is not that much and they come guaranteed. My t3/t4 supports 600 hp and cost 384 bucks from garrett. I would use two on a v8. Oversized turbos help make bigger power with lower charge temps.

You can usally put an fmu on the turbo that is mechanical for under 100 bucks. Needs a return style fuel system. For big power you will need to reprogram the computer to take boost. The gm sensor package already reads boost so its really just some slick programming. Or at least the new map sensor. So that just leaves manifolds which are usally factory with the ends/cats cut off and piping welded up or a turbo flange welded right onto the end of the manifolds. Charge pipe should be aluminum and exhuast all mild steel you may need to beat it around and do some difficult welding so mild steel pipe is best. You can buy the flanges off ebay or jegs for under 20 bucks. Silicon couplers and clamps can also be purchased with a nice lot of charge pipe off ebay. Intercoolers are cheap dont buy an expensive one. Turbo powerstroke intercooler is a personal favorite and lots of ppl use them so they are easy to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T04E-15PC-T3...3c1d67&vxp=mtr

Last edited by hcompton; 12-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (12-27-2012)