Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 383 Roller Build (cont.....)
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,079 Times in 1,015 Posts
oil pressure at idle,,,

Originally Posted by barry425 View Post
Small Block Chevys seem to run okay as long as they have 40 psi at hot idle. I had a machinist make a mistake on a crank once, and the hot idle was only 25. It went downhill little by little, and by the end of the month only had 10 psi at hot idle. I gave the machinist Hell over that and also gave him some not-so-good PR. Some speed shops took my word for it and took their business elsewhere after that.
Small Block Mopars like higher oil pressure, such as 60-80 psi at hot idle. It is because of the way the oil passages route inside the block. There is a fix that involves putting an oil bypass line in the valley, but I don't like doing that. If anything breaks, you can't see it until the engine goes south on you. I still remember the external copper top end oil line on the old "Y" block Fords that would work harden and break. Oil went everywhere. What a Mickey-Mouse outfit that was. "Have you driven a Ford lately?" lol
how is that possible? I would think that on a test fit that the crank was measured? The mistake on the crank ,,,how did that get missed by the guy assembling?