Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chevy 383- timing and carb advise
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 383- timing and carb advise/Now irratic timing mark! and ticking!! oh no!

Hello, Hopefully someone can help lead me in the right direction.. I have been reading all kinds of message boards for a few days now and cannot seem to get an answer.. Heres my issues.
I bought a 383 stroker engine from a lady whos husband went to jail.. therefore she had no clue what it has in it, Friends that knew him said only that is it 383 , has 400 crank, mild to med cam, stock heads, with headers, and edelbrock 1405 600cfm carb. The engine had never been on the road, it was just dropped in his project car before he went to jail, Anyways a few buddy's and myself pulled the engine for my pickup truck that I have, we got it running and has been doing ok, but does not have the power I think it should, not much more than the stock 350 that was in my truck.
The carb is still in stock form, no adjustments except the idle mixture screws a few turns out which seems right. I also just tried swithching the dizzy's vac advance from the timed vac port on the carb to the manifold vac port. The idle went up some and i lowered it with the adjust screw on the carb throttle linkage. Haven't got to test drive it yet, (its not street legal) more for off roading.
I'm wondering if someone can give me advise on what to set the timing at for a good starting point? and what to look for if i turn the dist cap too far one way or the other while fine tuning it. Inital timing and final... Also any recommendations for the carb 1405 calibration? jets, Metering rods, and such?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Please.
Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by RowShan; 09-30-2009 at 08:17 AM.