Hot Rod Forum banner

chevy 383 vs 396 stroker

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
I have always heard good thing about the chevy 383 stoker and I have been wanting to know how does the 396 Stroker compare to it I know it takes a 3.87 crank and it has to have a small base circle cam and has more clearance issue. Does it much more power then the 383 I know it has 13 more ci but is it worth it thanks

#2 ·
Does a .060 over 350 make more power than a stock one? Not really, and that's a 10 cube difference. I know there's a lot of generalization of Bore = HP and Stroke = Torque, but these are generally not true. The fact is that that a bigger engine can make more power at the same rpm as a smaller engine if it's built with hotter parts. Built with the same parts, the bigger engine will likely make little difference in power, but it's peak will occur at a lower rpm and it will make more torque across the board thanks to it's larger displacement. Only when we encounter valve shrouding due to bore size, valve size and port size variations does bore become an extremely important factor in making power. The 455 BOPs are good example of the bore vs stroke not meaning much.

This is the basis for the phrase, "No replacement for displacement". However, 13 cubic inches on an identical platform is nothing really. I think that the only way you're going to know the difference is on the dyno.

#3 ·
a 383 is only 18 cubes more than a 355,yet a lot of people think its a magic motor?
Long stroke engines have a higher piston speed than short stroke motors.If you build a 393 stroker you would likely make more power than the 396 stroker,because of what Valkyrie says about bore size and head flow.
3.875 stroke x 4.030 bore Vs the 3.622 stroke x 4.155 bore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.