Chevy 4.3 L Flywheel Balance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 4.3 L Flywheel Balance

I have read through all the similar posts and found a fair amount of conflicting information so please bear with me for re-plowing this often plowed ground. My concern is getting the proper flywheel balance for a manual conversion of a 1994 (code W) 4.3L V-6 Chevy -- The current flex plate has a weight plate stamped "763" situated adjacent to the locator dowel and by ROUGH calculations it appears that the intentional imbalance is of the order 18.8 inch-ounce -- I hope to modify a flywheel I already have available to use with this engine and wonder if anyone has an exact figure for the imbalance appropriate to this engine.
The obvious solution of getting a flywheel from a bone yard has already lead to a sore back and much wasted time; a new flywheel is pricey if I can avoid the expense. For example, could I just drill out the welds on the flex plate balance weight and attach it in a similar location on a neutral balance flywheel?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 AM

Last photo:

You are over complicating a simple thing. Take the flex plate and the flywheel to an automotive machine shop/balance shop. A very simple procedure will correct amount of imbalance ..
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

You are probably right, but I try to do everything myself.
In some of the older posts I saw the term "28 ounce flywheel" used and hoped I might find out what that meant. To be useful as a measure on imbalance would require both a weight and a distance -- Would the term be 28 inch-ounce by any chance?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.