Chevy 4.3 L Weight and Center of Gravity - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 4.3 L Weight and Center of Gravity

One of the frustrations in designing a hot rod is getting accurate weight and center of mass data -- For the 1994 Chevy 4.3 L (code W) motor and 4L60E transmission complete with fluids, all lines and hoses, complete wiring harness, and the exhaust pipes to a length 6" beyond the "Y" point but not the AC compressor, fan, or alternator I measured the following :

Weight of engine and tranny -- 644.9 lbs
Weights of the missing parts:
Alternator 11.95
AC Compressor 14.90
Thermostatic Fan 7.90
Computer & VSS 2.47

The center of mass for the engine/trans comination was at a point 3.88" forward of the rear block surface.

Hope this data helps someone!

If you have read this far you may know a bit about the 4.3 engine -- I need to know how to use one of the aftermarket HEI type distributors with only a vacuum advace (no centrifugal advance) on a conversion to a carb based engine -- How is it set up? Also, is a Edelbrock 500 CFM carb about the right size? Any other suggestions on the conversion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Load Cell 011.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	53354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Load Cell 002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	568.3 KB
ID:	53355  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Is the engine to be run w/o computer? How many pins does the ignition module have and is there a 4-wire pigtail/terminal coming from the distributor that would ordinarily hook into another terminal coming from the wiring loom?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

There are four pins on the module, two out of each end -- HOWEVER, when I took the distributor apart to see the module I found out that it does have centrifugal advance (the seller said it did not and I took his word) so all I really need is a refresher on how to set up an old school distributor -- I think I remember setting SBC's for 34 Degrees total (all in by 2800 RPM) and no vacuum advance
I am considering running W/o computer, but it is not a firm decision because I really like the fuel injection. It will depend on the difficulty of handling the wiring -- THANKS for the help!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Are you sure that's the original Distributor? I thought the Puter handled all the Ignition timing advance on these engines.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v123
There are four pins on the module, two out of each end -- HOWEVER, when I took the distributor apart to see the module I found out that it does have centrifugal advance (the seller said it did not and I took his word) so all I really need is a refresher on how to set up an old school distributor -- I think I remember setting SBC's for 34 Degrees total (all in by 2800 RPM) and no vacuum advance
I am considering running W/o computer, but it is not a firm decision because I really like the fuel injection. It will depend on the difficulty of handling the wiring -- THANKS for the help!
The distributor needed to use the computer won't have a vacuum or mechanical advance. It sounds like you have a distributor for use w/o a computer.

If you have the '94 heads, the advance will be about 34-36 total. Initial can range from 10-12, more if it will allow it. Bring the total in by 2500-3000 RPM. You want the vacuum advance to supply another 10-15.

As SSedan64 said- if the computer is to be used, it will handle the advance. It will require a distributor that matches the PCM and wiring that you're using. It will have a smaller diameter cap and the coil won't be built into the cap.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

You are absolutely right, the distributor is new, from an Ebay seller and not a replacement for this model-- I am balancing whether to go carb and dist. along with a "TV cable" trans (w/o the computer) or staying with the computer and keeping the stock distributor, fuel injection, and
4 L60 E electronic transmission --- I am working out just how many wires I will have to deal with if using the computer -- I don't think I mentioned that this engine is being swapped into a PT Cruiser -- I can say this, the engine harness and under dash wiring from the donor S-10 truck is a HUGE intimidating pile!!
I would appreciate any opinions and "been there, done that" stories on the switch to "old school" engine controls, I value the thoughts and experiences of fellow rodders.
The heads do have the Vortec "kidney bean" combustion chamber and I really appreciate the timing information
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
The heads do have the Vortec "kidney bean" combustion chamber and I really appreciate the timing information
To be sure of what you have, check the casting numbers and date code of your heads. The "real" Vortec heads are '96-up, so unless the heads you have on your '94 4.3L V6 have been swapped, they shouldn't be the real Vortec heads.

'95-BACK CHAMBER ON LEFT, '96-UP CHAMBER ON RIGHT
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Not to argue as I have not pulled the heads, but the intake bolts go straight down like Vortec heads -- This link leads to a web site that says 1992-1995 code W motors are 10 HP stronger than the 1996 and later versions -- If the earlier motors don't have Vortec chambers where does the extra power come from? Can the earlier central point fuel injection be better than the latter multi point? Hotter cam timing? Would putting "true" Vortec heads on this 1994 motors add low end torque or HP? Want to guess how much? This is getting INTERESTING -LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...gree_V6_engine
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Not to argue as I have not pulled the heads, but the intake bolts go straight down like Vortec heads -- This link leads to a web site that says 1992-1995 code W motors are 10 HP stronger than the 1996 and later versions -- If the earlier motors don't have Vortec chambers where does the extra power come from? Can the earlier central point fuel injection be better than the latter multi point? Hotter cam timing? Would putting "true" Vortec heads on this 1994 motors add low end torque or HP? Want to guess how much? This is getting INTERESTING -LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...gree_V6_engine
Regardless of factory power ratings, the '96-up Vortec heads are better flowing than the preceding heads. The things to go by are casting numbers and dates.

I don't know how much power true Vortecs are worth over the earlier heads- on a SBC the difference is on the order of 35-50 HP. Taking the 3/4 of a 350 4.3L V6 into consideration, this would be an increase of about 26.25 to 37.5 HP.

From HERE:
Quote:
According to the Cylinder Head Exchange, look for casting Nos. 772, 140, or 113.

There's about a 50/50 chance the 113 heads will be machined for fully adjustable rocker arms; the other casting numbers as well as the remaining 113s come with nonadjustable positive-stop rocker-arm studs.

Crane Cams offers an adjustable conversion stud (PN 99148-2, six required), but for serious work, all these should be drilled and tapped for V-8-type screw-in rocker studs and roller rockers.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Nuff Said!!! You would have sold me on the later heads at half the suggested power increase-- looking for a pair right now!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
WFO

Last photo:

These heads do require a dedicated intake to match their bolt pattern. A carbed intake that will work is the Edelbrock 2114. Unfortunately, they ain't cheap!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:31 PM
WFO

Last photo:

The OEM rockers used on the later heads- including Vortecs- are "self aligning"-type rockers. Try to get the rockers w/the heads (or reuse the rockers from your heads- they should be "self aligning" rockers, too) unless you plan on using aftermarket rockers.

Another thing to consider is the Vortec heads for the 4.3L V6 suffer from the same lift limits that the V8 heads have- about 0.450" is all they will handle using OEM retainers and seals, due to the guide boss height.

There are ways to get around this by machining the boss shorter, or by using different springs (which are needed anyway) and retainers, or by doing various mods to the retainer or swapping the valves out for the earlier 2-groove valves and hardware used w/them.

CLICK for some more info on Vortec heads and mods to them, etc. The thread is about the V8 heads, but the same things apply to the V6 heads.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-09-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.