Chevy 4.3L Aluminum heads? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 4.3L Aluminum heads?

Does anyone have any experience with the original Chevy aluminum heads for the 4.3L ?? I heard if you can find them they where the s#!t in the 1980s and if you can find them there expensive! I know Brodix has there own aluminum heads for around $1665.oo bare.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
More for Less Racer

There was never a factory 4.3L V6 aluminum head. Where did you hear that info??

There was a Bowtie V6 peformance head, a couple different versions, from the GM performance catalog in the late 80's early 90's, might still be available. Expensive $$$
Old 06-11-2010, 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=ericnova72]There was never a factory 4.3L V6 aluminum head. Where did you hear that info??

Sorry, did not mean factory. I was asking about the Bow tie ones from GM.
I just got a call from a guy that may have 2 sets of aluminum heads. The one being part number 14044802 and the other 1X137747. He also has the cross ram intake part number 14044804 for it to!
If this is for sure I wounder if its worth getting??
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

[QUOTE=sofakingwatt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
There was never a factory 4.3L V6 aluminum head. Where did you hear that info??

Sorry, did not mean factory. I was asking about the Bow tie ones from GM.
I just got a call from a guy that may have 2 sets of aluminum heads. The one being part number 14044802 and the other 1X137747. He also has the cross ram intake part number 14044804 for it to!
If this is for sure I wounder if its worth getting??
The 804 is one of two "first design" heads that were brought out for the 4.3. IIRC it has a 23º layout, was machined for 2.02" and 1.6" valves, and works w/the OEM 4-bbl. intake, among others. It's out of production, was last made in 9-94. The 747 might be a raised runner head, I'm just not positive about that, though. You probably know more about it than I do, plus there's google...

The thing you need to make the heads and X-ram intake worth having, is an odd-fire forged crankshaft. I'd not bother w/the heads w/o one or a quality even-fire crank at least- the stock "slipped disc" cast crank breaks often enough in stock form, in a high RPM setting, it'd quickly become the weak link.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:30 PM

thanks for the information it looks like i have some more homework to do.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingwatt
thanks for the information it looks like i have some more homework to do.
The V6 Chevy got a lot of development in the NASCAR Goody’s Dash Series class, among others.

The parts (including cranks) occasionally become available on racejunk and similar "race parts for sale"-type sites.

Other places for info on the 4.3L V6 is www.s10forum.com, www.turbobuick.com, www.syty.net
Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The V6 Chevy got a lot of development in the NASCAR Goody’s Dash Series class, among others.

The parts (including cranks) occasionally become available on racejunk and similar "race parts for sale"-type sites.

Other places for info on the 4.3L V6 is www.s10forum.com, www.turbobuick.com, www.syty.net
Cool! I will check out those links thank you! I went to the guys place and he has a ton of parts on the shelf with all kinds of different combos of possible use.
He wants to pretty much get rid of everything. He does not have a recipe list of what to use, Like you use this..you get this. I would think after 30 years its all been done and some one would have parts list! Learning about even fire and non even fire and is it better to use balanced shaft over the older none balanced style? He does not have any of the cranks talked about, only stock ones.
One possible set up that looks good is he has some stroker crower rods, or the Bow tie rods in stock length, KB. pistons that are flat tops, the roller marine cam, Put that in the balanced bar block with the one set of aluminum heads and RUN IT! But then the other part of me needs to make sure it will all work together and last. Also I don't need to be running 7000rpms here ether.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM
WFO

Last photo:

A few things:

Balancer shafts are good for quelling vibes, but not so much good for a high performance engine build. They require a dedicated timing set and timing cover, and a camshaft compatible w/the shaft, IIRC. It is extra weight and complexity that's just not wanted or needed in a race engine, but could be a possibility, depending on what you plan on doing w/the 4.3L V6 engine in the first place.

Building a V6 is going to be more time consuming and expensive w/a steeper learning curve than building a V8- and in the end, dollar for dollar, you'll get less performance from a V6 than a SBC V8. So unless there's a GOOD reason for using a V6 as the foundation- DON'T! lol

The heads used need to be considered carefully. Evaluate them for intake runner volume- too much volume (anything over 200 cc, about) will mean the powerband will want to be in an RPM area that the stock crank doesn't go w/o a high failure rate. So, w/o a good crank to build with, the rest has to be geared towards a 6K RPM ceiling if a long life w/o catastrophic failure is expected.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:05 PM

That's some good info!! Thank you. My main build plan with this is a single seater rock buggy. If one where able to get some good parts and keep it light and get around 300hp out of her for a good price was kinda my plan. They got 304hp and 310flb on there build at hot rod mag but with stock heads and not as much detail. I kinda wonder what they would have got with these aluminum heads? But If I can not make this work reasonable then your right due something else. A vortex 4.3 would be fine I'm sure just thought it would be neat to do something different.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingwatt
That's some good info!! Thank you. My main build plan with this is a single seater rock buggy. If one where able to get some good parts and keep it light and get around 300hp out of her for a good price was kinda my plan. They got 304hp and 310flb on there build at hot rod mag but with stock heads and not as much detail. I kinda wonder what they would have got with these aluminum heads? But If I can not make this work reasonable then your right due something else. A vortex 4.3 would be fine I'm sure just thought it would be neat to do something different.
I agree about the '96-up Vortec 4.3L heads being the way to go if you don't use something made of Al. Just be aware that there are differences in the V6 'Vortec' heads- the "true" Vortec heads are the ones you want, not heads from just any old "Vortec engine (GM used "Vortec" as a name for the engine as well as a head. so it gets confusing at first to hear "use a Vortec head, but not any head from a Vortec engine").

In the end, the weight savings for running a V6 instead of a V8 is about 100 lbs.. This becomes less if the V8 had Al heads and the V6 was using cast iron. For power production, well, you know the story there!

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Thank you for all the help!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.