chevy 4.3l help-detonation, running rough - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
4 chevys and a ford

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 4.3l help-detonation, running rough

Just bought a 01 chevy express w/ a 4.3L. It ran good for a day then the check engine light. It is skipping and backfiring in the exhaust. I here the loudest detonation I think i've ever herd. and it stutters, lopes, etc. I took it to a shop, witch was a first for me. I just didn't have the time to diagnose and fix. Their scanner read a problem in the crankshaft sensor circuit, so they installed a new sensor.
After driving the van a few miles it started acting the same way.Engine light came back on, and more detonation. I then ran my own scan and got code p0335 - no signal from crank sensor for more than three seconds. I don't see how the engine could run w/ no signal for 3 seconds. It starts and idles fine.It's never stalled out on me.
Next I did a ignition system tune up to eliminate that. Same rough running.
I then got out the old timing light just to look. It's firing at a few degrees BTDC at Idle. oddly though it seems to be firing somewhat randomly, firing slow briefly then very fast briefly. All while at Idling at steady rpm's, and always a little before TDC. ??? Also, when I gave it gas, the timing dropped way advanced for a split second then way retarded. Is this the knock sensors in action trying to eliminate the detonation/preignition?

Is the computer is giving false reading on the crank sensor circuit. The engine won't run w/ no reference signal.Correct?

I was hoping that someone has run into the same problem.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Back Yard Junky :)

Last photo:
Location: Around the Corner from the middle of nowhere... Arden Ontario

did you reset your computer? it maybe still trying to read the crank sensor errors.... or the idiot machanics didnt change it and just reset your computer to make a quick buck. try reseting the computer and if i does the same thing a few miles around the block then they didnt change it or you have gotten a defective sensor.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
4 chevys and a ford

I erased the trouble codes. Is this the same thing as resetting the comp? There is a new sensor installed, I checked. I also checked the connections. I also unplugged it to see what would happen, the engine stalled. I thought maybe the computer used a default signal in the event the sensor fails. Not the case.

The oddest thing is how its firing. Slow, then fast, then slow again, all at a steady idle.

Could the reluctor wheel be out of place or wobbling somehow? Could the coil be failing?
It has compression, and its firing a few degrees BTDC at idle.

Thanks for the input. I am thinking of taking it to a chevy dealer so they can
"perform a CKP system variation learn procedure" with their "proprietary scan tool" , or so my haynes manual says.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Back Yard Junky :)

Last photo:
Location: Around the Corner from the middle of nowhere... Arden Ontario

i beleive erasing the code is the same thing as reseting the computer um im not sure what it could be is it ran with a chain or time belt? if its a chain maybe it jumped a tooth and is causeing it to jump in a out of time but the best thing for you to do is take it to the gm dealer have them diagnose the problem and then maybe you can fix it yourself anyways good luck with that sorry if i was no help

Have a good one
Old 03-20-2007, 07:14 PM
4 chevys and a ford

Its a chain drive system. I'll post the solution when I find it.
Thanks for the input

Brian

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.