chevy 409 in what vechicles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
OLDFART952

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 409 in what vechicles

CHEVY 409???? HI GUYS, my name is gary. i got a idea. can i build a chevy 409 and install it in a chevy truck???? or is it a major headache? see there are none u hear about. its new. please let me know your idea's thanks gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Oldfart, you can't be very old or you were not a gear head as a youngin'. The 409 is getting to be an expensive proposition these days because of the unique looks and it does generate some nice power. They could be found in Chevs cars as early as 63, a few El Caminos as early as 64 and some trucks as well. You should be able to put one in about any pickup starting in the 40s and up with out any trouble.

Trees
Old 05-08-2006, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

from my very dim memory....409 started out as a 348 truck motor? so yeah, it fits

just that many other motors are less expensive to build for equal hp/tq

valve covers look cool....
Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

The 409 first appeared in the 1961 model year cars. The engine is probably worth more as a collectors item than as a powerplant in a hot rod.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:21 AM

Oldfart, The Chevy 409 is roughly 65lbs. lighter than a regular Bbc. The motor mounts and other associated equipt. can be transferred over. batstar70
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

yes, I actually put a 348 (externally the same) in a 70 3/4 ton camper special. Why?
I had a nice truck body & a good running 348. it didnt stay in there long though...the 348 didnt do such a good job, so I rebuilt a 402 & put it in instead.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

you will pay a arm and leg for one,even if you can find one
Old 05-08-2006, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

409 what a car/engine

Just the thought of a 409 brings back great memories. My wifes cousin in law (he's from Iowa, everyones related) still has his black 62 Biscayne in his garage. What a sleeper that was. Thinking way back I believe the 409 was originally a truck engine before they put them in cars. So an install in a truck doesn't seem a strech. As others have said though it would cost a bundle for a real 409. Why not look for a 348? Must be more available for a reasonable price. Course what's resonable.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa912
Just the thought of a 409 brings back great memories. My wifes cousin in law (he's from Iowa, everyones related) still has his black 62 Biscayne in his garage. What a sleeper that was. Thinking way back I believe the 409 was originally a truck engine before they put them in cars. So an install in a truck doesn't seem a strech. As others have said though it would cost a bundle for a real 409. Why not look for a 348? Must be more available for a reasonable price. Course what's resonable.
What's that supposed to mean?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

What's that supposed to mean?

I meant installing in a truck would most likely be realistic. It would cost a lot but that was a great looking engine so it would be a nice install. But there were many more 348 around then 409's so I would think finding one would cost less. And the 348 would look great also. I ended up with a 348 in my 58 Convert before I sold it and loved it! But it cost me a bundle compaired to the stock 283 it came with. Resonable? Nope! Worth it? Yep!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my 58 chevy '64 12.30.05.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	12070  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart952
CHEVY 409???? HI GUYS, my name is gary. i got a idea. can i build a chevy 409 and install it in a chevy truck???? or is it a major headache? see there are none u hear about. its new. please let me know your idea's thanks gary
Gary, the main problem with these "W" 348 and 409 motors is that the combustion chamber is in the block, formed by a wedge-shaped piston. The heads are flat with no chamber. This leaves a long way for the flame front to travel, so they are not the most efficient motors. The technology in these motors dates from the mid-50's.

If you want to install something neat in a Chevy truck, drop a 472 or 500 Caddy in there.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I meant installing in a truck would most likely be realistic. It would cost a lot but that was a great looking engine so it would be a nice install. But there were many more 348 around then 409's so I would think finding one would cost less. And the 348 would look great also. I ended up with a 348 in my 58 Convert before I sold it and loved it! But it cost me a bundle compaired to the stock 283 it came with. Resonable? Nope! Worth it? Yep!!
I was referring to the comment about being from Iowa, "everyone is related".
I was being sarcastic, being that I am from Iowa, but I took it in fun, hence the
BTW, I did have a neighbor once that I wasn't related too.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

everyone is related

Maybe you are related to my wife's family. We just bought the house my wife's Great Grandfather built in the late 1800's. Small Victorian but a big new garage!! We will be moving out there as soon as my business and house here sells. My son wants the Porsche so I'll give it to him and start looking for a hot rod for me. Looking forward to cold winters in a warm garage working on something.

BTW, I did have a neighbor once that I wasn't related too.[/B] Are you sure? Maybe a 4th cousin on your Grandmothers side?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are related to my wife's family. We just bought the house my wife's Great Grandfather built in the late 1800's. Small Victorian but a big new garage!! We will be moving out there as soon as my business and house here sells. My son wants the Porsche so I'll give it to him and start looking for a hot rod for me. Looking forward to cold winters in a warm garage working on something.

BTW, I did have a neighbor once that I wasn't related too.[/B] Are you sure? Maybe a 4th cousin on your Grandmothers side?
Where in IA are you relocating to?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Where in IA are you relocating to?

NE Iowa. Town called Fredricksburg. Opps, there it goes. Got to look quick. Very small. Close enough to the Mississippi to go fishing and close enough to lower MN for camping, fishing and canoeing. All that and a large garage, who could ask for anything more. Well, my neighbors here in Il. They can't understand it. Their idea of a good time is dropping $300 on a dinner and then driving home in their Lexus or Navigator. That can buy me a lot of beer and burgers. I've been a Porsche fan for a long time but when they introduced the 924/928's for the yuppies I called it quits!! You don't look for an engine in the front of a Porsche!!! And a Porsche SUV? Give me a break!! Time to get back to my youth. Hot rods, beer and good people to talk to.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.