chevy 454 not shifting from first - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 454 not shifting from first

Hello there,

i recently bought a 1980 chevy k20. i drove it home from about 25 miles away and it drove just fine. but the speedo didnt work and it didnt have a tach. the other night i installed a tach and just ran both seperate wires to reactivate the speedo, but i havent ran the truck yet. i took it out the other nigt after i installed the tach and it wont shift from 1st gear. the tranny has 3 gears and to be honest i dont know much about the truck, its my first work truck. i just added about 3 quarts of tranny fluid and just changed my oil and filter. when i put the truck into gear it shakes the truck very hard, its an automatic, so when i put it into drive. and then when i put it into reverse it knocks even harder. it is also starting to rev very high 1000-1500 rpms when i start it. it jsut sounds abnormally loud. basically the truck wont shift from first gear but it was shifting perfectly fine just the other day when i drove it home. can anyone help me please!?!? thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Why did you add so much tranny fluid? Three quarts at one time seams like a awful lot? Have you checked the dip stick on the tranny after its started to see what the level is. It possible you over filled it.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM

okay i only added a quart and a half but i think i did over fill the trans fluid. what happens if i over fill the tranny fluid? and what can i do if it is bad for the engine or tranny? thank you!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't think that much would of caused you those kinds of problems unless it was over filled to start with. You need to start it and check the fluid level. Sounds strange, but I seen some strange tranny problems with over filling trannys. Did you check the tranny fluid level when you bought it or after you got home?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

this type of problem sounds like the wrong type of trans fluid. On over fill of a quart or two you will most likely blow a seal or two. Is this a stock motor and trans? Or is it someone creation?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

I would first check your fluid level in your trans. Check it when warmed up and at idle. Second check the vacuum line from carb to vacuum modulator on the trans. Its on the passenger side of the trans. Sounds like it might have fallen off and you caused a vacuum leak. Then check back with us.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.