chevy 468 build options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 468 build options

ok just got my block a chevy 454 already bored out 60 over... it is a two piece rear main... IT is only a block.. i am wanting to build it up from the floor up. it is going in my 1982 chevy c-10. t-350 and 3.73 posi. now budget its a build as i save and go (getting married in sept.) I have to huge goals for this truck 1 i want this thing to scream and scary the **** out of anyone who rides in it, 2 i want it to run on pump gas and have that realy realy lopey idle to it... so please any input would be good...

Advertisement

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 02-16-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Basic. You will need compression. Flat top piston with 108 cc. oval port head or around .100 dome with 119 cc. oval head will work for street engine. If you can afford the large valve conversion. OK. If not, stock valves will work fine on a budget 6000 rpm. motor. Get the valves "back cut" and the seats cleaned up with three angles. Save the fancy roller rockers etc. for the magazines. A good set of "H" or "L" rockers will work great.

Cam. BBC likes lots of lift..Keep duration short, Long duration cams cause soggy bottom end. You want to build torque.. Lifts over about .510 start to cost you big bucks in the head/springs catagory.

Use a Torker style intake.. Yea, the kids will tell ya you need a Dart Pro or some other B. S. stuff they saw on TV. But in real life you want mid-range. Older style used oval port intakes are relatively cheap.

Use a 780 vac secondary carburetor, double pumpers suck on a street only, mild engine.

Build tips. Use a stock M77 type oil pump. High volume pumps eat up the front cam thrust on a BBC street engine. Use a vented plug in one of the front oil plugs, near the cam. This will keep air from being trapped in the lifter oil galley (noise).. Provide extra oil to the cam thrust. This can be done several different ways. I simply score the front cam bearing from the oil hole to the front . To create an oil leak.

Don't use "rebuilders" pistons. They are .020 short. Cutting into your much needed compression. Pressed pins are desirable on a street engine.

3/8 rod bolts are OK. But have ARP or similar bolts installed. Rods re-sized.

Plan on breaking the trans..
Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM

thanks for the knowledge.. i hvae been looking at a set of trick flow heads..and a mild cam..around 580 lift
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhammond
thanks for the knowledge.. i hvae been looking at a set of trick flow heads..and a mild cam..around 580 lift
Unless you're trying to get weight off the front end, stick with cheap factory cast iron heads. Casting # 781 or 049 are good one to use. These are readily available. Small valve 2.065 intakes are OK for mild builds (525HP). 3 angle valve job and backcut like was said above. I used a Edelbrock RPM intake /750 DP on mine.
245 degrees or so duration @ .050 will require a 3500 stall converter.
Don't worry about the trans. It will live unless you launch it hard on big slicks repeatedly.
Fuel mileage won't be great with a lumpy cam and big converter, but it sure is fun.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.