Chevy All wheel drive nightmare - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Brakes are for parking

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy All wheel drive nightmare

I have a 2003 Silverado SS that is all wheel drive. This is the second front end that I have put in. Only have about 80k miles on the truck and front pumpkin is starting to make noise again. I think GM has a problem with them is there anyone that has some suggestions as to what can be done if there's a after market upgrade thats out there (no, dodge and fords not one of them) or a shop thats knowledgeable about awd drive-trains. The pinion and ring gear are shot .05-.1 slop in them at least on the first front end that I replaced. I hate to keep dropping a grand every 40k miles on front ends. I am looking at adding a supercharger at some point down the line as soon as it stops being a daily driver and I don't know if the stock front end can handle the extra ponies... barley handles it now!!!

Any input would be appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

I had an AWD Safari van...never again
Old 07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
expert lurker

Last journal entry: day one!
Last photo:

what goes bad? just the ring and pinion? ithere may be an aftermarket diff for your truck, hear good things from randys ring and pinion
Old 07-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Brakes are for parking

I guess I don't know what happens first. Pinion and ring go have major wear then I think that the shavings get into the bearings or vice versa.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:34 PM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:

Just for curiosity's sake. Have you replaced the tires? If so, was it all four? Or just two? Did you stay with the same tread pattern?

The most costly and common problem with all wheel drive is a lot of people who own them don't rotate the tires on a regular basis, or if they have a tire failure, they buy one tire and pair it with the tire from the spare. Or they don't rotate the tires at all, and go and buy two new tires of a different make, either because they are ignorant of the type of vehicle, the salesperson is ignorant of the type of vehicle, or they simply refuse to buy the correct amount of tires ( in most cases, only a few 32ths of an inch is enough for drastic consequences).

If ever you have a blowout, and the other tires are nearly new, you must replace it with the same exact type and size. Believe it or not, a 205/55R16 and a P205/55R16 are not the same size (other examples exist also). The P-metric is actually thinner and taller than the hard metric counterpart. Similarly, a Michelin tire will not physically be the same dimensions as a Goodyear, even when the sizes are the same. The size system is not exact. Nor is there a standardization.

If ever you have a blowout, and the tires have about half their tread life left, you must replace all four or you risk drive train failure.

I'm not saying that this is your problem. But I have seen many AWD Silverados (As well as Subarus, Saturns, etc) live healthy lives when the tires are properly maintained.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.