Chevy Alternator from Generator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy Alternator from Generator

I have a 1962 Chevrolet Impala with a 327. I added an HEI distributor and the Generator does not give me enough power. I added a new alternator (without a built in regulator)

The generator had a + and a - wire and a wire off of the generator marked (F). When I installed the alternator, I connected the obvious + and - and added a connector to my wire that was connected to (F) and connected it to the alternator marked (F). There is another connector on the alternator that is marked (I think R) , where does this go? My generator light in the dash stays lit so it is not charging.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddove1972
I have a 1962 Chevrolet Impala with a 327. I added an HEI distributor and the Generator does not give me enough power. I added a new alternator (without a built in regulator)

The generator had a + and a - wire and a wire off of the generator marked (F). When I installed the alternator, I connected the obvious + and - and added a connector to my wire that was connected to (F) and connected it to the alternator marked (F). There is another connector on the alternator that is marked (I think R) , where does this go? My generator light in the dash stays lit so it is not charging.

Thanks
Connect a switched wire to the R terminal (Remote) to excite the alt and let it charge.

I do take it that you are useing a delco alt?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

I am going to ASSUME you are using an externally regulated stock type , like 38 amp alternator like they used back in the day...and not a 3 wire internally Delco internally regulated alternator as we have come to know it today..

That being accurate, This SHOULD be the wire diagram you your charging system, check and VERIFY that is correct..

If the wire verify's correctly, then the Regulator is either way out of adjustment, OR is dead..Either way, now is a GOOD time to upgrade to a solidstate regulator..VR 705 or VR 75 IIRC, $15 fazools at auto zombie, and is almost plug and play..It should last you longer than the car will..

Doc
Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 AM

You are correct.

Yes Doc, I am using an external regulator and an older style (new) alternator with no internal regulator. The car ran fine with the generator and the existing regulator on the core support. I just was not getting the power out of the generator that I thought I needed.

This all started when I put an HEI distributor in. Wired it all in with new wires and the car would backfire or pop. Me being so brilliant :-) figured it had to be a power issue not igniting the fuel fast enough. Come to find out I had the 5 and 7 plug wires switched. But now I have the alternator and brackets and might as well install it.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Then the diagram provided should be the one you need to follow..

AT this point though, I would consider the regulator upgrade to a solid state unit, (a VR 705 or VR 75, IIRC) ... Almost plug and play, works 1000% better than the mechanical one, AND will probably outlast the car two fold!! AND only $15 Fazools..

Doc
Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Doc, save me..

OK here is what I have. The car starts and runs good. When I cut the car off, the Generator light stays on in the dash.

Regulator
F goes to the F on the alternator
2 goes to the R on the alternator
3 goes to the positive battery terminal
4 goes to one side of the amp gauge, on to the + side of the alternator, and one small brown wire that leads to a connector under the washer bottle on the firewall. (this is where the problem is I think) Brown wire is to the gen light and it is wired into a constant positive source???

Also, my ground from the alternator goes to the core support under the regulator

Also have another positive wire coming from the other side of the amp gauge going to the battery.

Here is a question also. Under my regulator (mounted to the driverside of the radiator) is a small relay. Is this the headlight relay? I have one wire coming off of there going to the extra leg of the regulator as well as a larger red wire coming from the connector below the washer bottle. They were tied together when the generator was installed previously.

Are you confused now?

Thanks in advance.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.