chevy bellhousing help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy bellhousing help

i have a 1965 chevy impala 327 powerglide. looking to convert to a muncie m-20 4 speed. trying to save some cash i just so happend to have a muncie 465 tranny from my dads 1976 suburban. turns out the bellhousing, clutch,flywheel and pressure plate all FIT. it is the 11" and 168 tooth fly wheel. my issue is the opening of the 465 bellhousing is larger than the input shaft plate. it all fits and lines up. mounted bellhousing,clutch and tranny. is the larger hole going to cause any stress on the muncie bolt ears or any alignment issues???? ANY info would be helpful thanxs!! mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Camaro Guy All The Way!

Last photo:

All 350s have the same bellhousing pattern. In fact, all 90* Chevy engines, to include V6s, Diesels, etc., until the LS1 based engines, all use the same bellhousing.You need the pilot bushing, input shaft and bellhousing opening to align perfectly with the bearing retainer of the transmission. If it all lines up it will work just fine.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5icr
AIf it all lines up it will work just fine.
In this case, no it won't work. The truck transmissions have a larger input bearing retainer, as noted. The retainer is what centers the transmission relative to the crank. The only way to use the truck bellhousing is to machine a collar that tightly fits the car trans to the truck bellhousing and maintains concentricity. Machining that collar will be much more expensive than simply getting the correct bellhousing.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
In this case, no it won't work. The truck transmissions have a larger input bearing retainer, as noted. The retainer is what centers the transmission relative to the crank. The only way to use the truck bellhousing is to machine a collar that tightly fits the car trans to the truck bellhousing and maintains concentricity. Machining that collar will be much more expensive than simply getting the correct bellhousing.
thanks for the reply. not the answer i was hoping for but it was expected. i guess the pilot bearing and the transmission bolts arent enough to maintain the propper alignment. what bellhousing should i look for that will fit a 1965 327 w/168 tooth flywheel 11"clutch and pressure plate. 621?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

I have a truck bellhousing on my Muncie. I bought a machined piece online that is a press fit and is locked in place using 3 small set screws that you drill and tap for. Very simple beccause it's aluminum. Took me 10 minutes to fit it. I'll find the link to the website and post it.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5icr
All 350s have the same bellhousing pattern. In fact, all 90* Chevy engines, to include V6s, Diesels, etc., until the LS1 based engines, all use the same bellhousing.You need the pilot bushing, input shaft and bellhousing opening to align perfectly with the bearing retainer of the transmission. If it all lines up it will work just fine.
it all lines up and bolts together really nice. just worried about the stress on the trans bolts and ears. there is about an 1/8 inch gap all away around the input shaft retainer and the truck bell housing. thanks for the help. mike
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Found it. Here's the link:

http://www.dennymac.com/mod.php?mod=...103&page_id=54

It was cheap too. About $20.00 if I recall. He doesn't have the price on the site, but I called , got the price and had it in my hands in less than a week.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
I have a truck bellhousing on my Muncie. I bought a machined piece online that is a press fit and is locked in place using 3 small set screws that you drill and tap for. Very simple beccause it's aluminum. Took me 10 minutes to fit it. I'll find the link to the website and post it.
great!!!!! sooo this project might actually come together. I could not believe that a bellhousing from pops truck that has been sitting in my garage for 11 years bolted to my 65 block and the clutch being a 10 spline 1 1/8" shaft fit as well. i had purchased a 1965 muncie m-20 case # 325 because i thought the input shaft had to be the 7/8 ". turns out the input shaft must have been changhed to a 1 1/8". the only other problem so far was the starter. the original starter was for the 153 tooth flex plate powerglide. i need to find a starter for the 168 tooth fly wheel. any -way thanks for the help mike
Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

Glad I could help.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
Found it. Here's the link:

http://www.dennymac.com/mod.php?mod=...103&page_id=54

It was cheap too. About $20.00 if I recall. He doesn't have the price on the site, but I called , got the price and had it in my hands in less than a week.
I was not aware of that item, thanks. Of course, in the last 30 days, at least half a dozen regular Chevy passenger car bellhousings sold (not asking price, completed auction sale price) for between $15 and $50.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I was not aware of that item, thanks. Of course, in the last 30 days, at least half a dozen regular Chevy passenger car bellhousings sold (not asking price, completed auction sale price) for between $15 and $50.
souds like the logical and practical thing to do is buy the right bellhousing however i know this one will fit the flywheel,pressure plate and 11" clutch and the throwout bearing and the clutch fork. I have all the right bolts etc. i degreased powerwashed and painted installed new fork boot and i think it would be cool to have parts of my dads truck in my chevy. im hoping it all works out in the end. I have to set up the clutch peddals,bellcrank and linkage,cut out for 4 speed shifter and 4 speed console. then there is the drive shaft to do yet. will post pictures as soon as i can figure out how to post them. thanks for the help great website for the backyard garage guys!!!!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.