Chevy block interchangeable with Pontiac / Olds/ Buick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2002, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Chevy block interchangeable with Pontiac / Olds/ Buick

It's been a few years since I was into older cars (be patient with us old geezers).

Years ago Chevy blocks were not interchangeable with Pontiac / Olds / Buick (POB). I have been told that some time in the 1990's POB adopted the small block casting of the chevy small block.

If this is so: Can a late model (1997) Pontiac small block engine interchange with an older 60's small block Chevy engine?

Thanks,

Jack.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2002, 12:42 AM

i believe so, if it;s the gm LS1. lots of guys do it cause the new 350's are smokin'. if anything needs to be done it might be a slight adjustment of the engine mounts but if its a small block for a small block then you should be fine.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:06 AM

What GM did was go to a corporate belhousing pattern. You will still need to deal with engine mounting positions, flywheel spacing, and exhaust clearances. Some GM makes did use the chev engines though. Unless GM has done something recently, the only difference is that the automatic transmissions were drilled for 2 bolt patterns, one being chev and the other whatever GM brand it was going in. A late Pontiac engine will not fit an old chev trans, but an old chev engine will bolt to a late pontiac trans.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:12 AM

in 1978 buick stopped production of all V8s in1982 pontiac did the same that left GM with two basic engines left the smallblock chevy and olds and these engines became corporate,meaning if you bought any GM car with a V8 it was either olds or chevy so the first thing you have to know is which engine it is(olds came in chevys and visa versa)in 1987 the chevy heads changed to a slightly different intake bolt pattern and all V8 engines got roller cams(chevy and olds)chevy got center bolt valve covers,in 92 corvette came out with a mercury marine engine in the LT5 this engine went into camaros firebirds and impala ss also(they said it was a lotus but merc marine designed it)tranny bolt patterns are different between olds and chevy. the chevy block is still the same as it was long ago and interchanges will work if you pay attention to parts combinations
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 AM

69copo

i believe the with the ls1 the trans am and camaro shared the same engine, with a different bolt pattern than the lt1 and back,the trans am and the camero shared the chevy engine for several years.but in the late 70s,early 80s they had a dual bolt pattern to fit all gms. i dont believe they were actual 350s.i think they were metric 250s i think. they had a lot of trouble with them, ive put a lots of 350s in there place a direct bolt in.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 AM

Last photo:

Hey Copo....this post is 9 years old, I see you're new, always look at the date.......we've all been burned the same way.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM

69copo

why dont they take the old ones off. i feel like a fool, thank you very much for telling me this. chat with you soon.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69copo
why dont they take the old ones off. i feel like a fool, thank you very much for telling me this. chat with you soon.
Don't feel that way, plus, if there are useable tidbits added it's a plus; they're kept here as part of the database and search functions I believe, that database is huge.

Welcome to the board.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK
It's been a few years since I was into older cars (be patient with us old geezers).

Years ago Chevy blocks were not interchangeable with Pontiac / Olds / Buick (POB). I have been told that some time in the 1990's POB adopted the small block casting of the chevy small block.

If this is so: Can a late model (1997) Pontiac small block engine interchange with an older 60's small block Chevy engine?

Thanks,

Jack.....
A 1997 small block V8 would be a Chevy casting with Chevy bolt patterns. An older SBC should interchange without issue unless you cross the 1986 line where the engines converted from 2 to 1 piece rear seals. Because of this they type rear seal dictates the flywheel or flexplate because of a change to a smaller crank flange bolt circle on the one piece seal engines, the clutch or torque converter bolt patterns are the same on both sides of this divide.

Bogie
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

X2 bogie. Theres nothing Pontiac about an LS anything
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A '97 Pontiac w/a 'SBC' engine would have been the Gen II LT-type.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.