chevy engine identification - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2002, 05:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question chevy engine identification

Need help on identifying a mouse engine I found in a 81 caprice. The story goes that thecar came into the world as a diesel and was a real lemon, to the point GM replaced the engine with a gas model. It is bluegreen in color. I am looking for id markings and there are several. Where exactly should the ones that identify the engine be? The bottom of the transmission pan says: GMC Hydramatic Metric and the car is half metric bolts and half SAE. Has a quadrajet and valve covers that bolt on like the old sbc with four screws. Has a ton of power. The 64$ question, what am I?? Please help if you can and thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2002, 08:30 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

There should be a number(s) stamped on the block pad in front of the passenger side head. The last two or three digits should be letters. If you can get those it will tell what the engine is. Also, on the back of the engine, behind the left head there should be a six or seven digit number cast on the block. The casting number will basically tell you have.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

I just found a website for sbc casting numbers. The casting number on the rear drivers side ledge below the head(where the transmission case meets the block, has a casting number of 14010202. The "moretec" www.MorTec.com website matches this to a 305 made between 80 and 81. The stamped number indicates day, month and plant of assembly. I have the information I need and have learned something.

thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 10:08 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

More than likly its a 305 if its a factory replaced motor in an 81.Still OK w/ headers and the right cam.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Smile

Yeah, Im thinking edlebrock performer package. I been wanting to try the combo: 3071 intake, 3702 cam and 1 and 5/8 tube headers along with about a 600cfm carb. They recommend the package. I might go ahead and do heavier springs/lifter kit as long as Im at it or go with a good used set of heads 2.02/160 intake and exhaust respectively if I can find some on EBAY. It should be healthy enough and an interesting combination.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Engine Tech Addict

I'm not sure if a 2.02 intake will work with the 305's small bore. Anyone know for sure? Even if it did fit I think the wall would WAY shroud it.

The Vandal
Old 08-09-2002, 09:38 PM

There is no replcement for cubic inches. If you are going to put some good money on a Motor, do not waste your time on a 305. There as still thousands of 350's lying around. Save your 305 for your future tow vehicle!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.