Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy engine questions

848 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  brian0605 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey fellows, I'm new to chevy engines(I have SOME experience with Olds engines), I have a few questions to ask:

I've recently purchased a 84-85 chevy caprice cheap but it needs an engine.
It currently has a chevy 307 in it and I want to swap out the 307 and replace it with a 350. I saw a GM Performance short block that Summit Racing sells for 695.00 that seems like a good starting point to me but I have a few questions

1. Since the car has a computer in it, I'm going to guess that the 307 is of the low compression kind(8.0---8.6:1 comp ratio) so what heads would I need to get if I'm planning on keeping the comp ratio in that range, use the 307's intake, carb and exhaust manifolds?(if possible)

2. will all of the brackets from the 307 work on the 350? ac, smog pump, etc.......

3. if not, what other options can I use? I'm not looking for anything special like cams, headers etc.......basically a dependable replacement(I HATE a 307 but that's another story.......)

4. If I disconnect the computer and use an Edelbrock carb will the factory alt, oil pressure, eng temp lights still work?

thanks

fred franklin

See less See more
#2 ·
Let's take this one at a time. 1)I would buy a complete GM goodwrench crate motor. It is a good foundation to start with and can be had for 1600 or so check this page out http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...ate+motors+Chevy&searchinresults=false&N=+115 2)yes all of the brackets will cross over. 3) And as far as 307 it should be a 305. The only thing wrong with a 305 is not enough C.I.D. It is basically the same as the 350 as far dependability. 4)I'm thinking that the gauges work independent of the ECM but I'm not 100% sure of that. I personally like to buy a quality set of mechanical gauges to keep an eye on temp,Oil Pressure and Voltage. If you go with the carb, get an edelbrock intake as well. Good luck, neighbor, I'm here in Mississippi. Brian :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.