Chevy Head Casting number 333882- Good or not? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pretty good IMO

I built a .060 flat top 350 running a Lunati Voodoo 60104LK with a set of mildly worked 882's with 2.02/1.60, I have $300.00 in the heads and I run very low 7's in the 1/8th in a 1985 S10 with a 3500 stahl. On the street I can be rolling about 35mph and give it 3/4 throttle and it will blow both tires off 1st, 2nd & 3rd, floor it at around 35mph and you're in the gaurd rail. With slicks and it hooking good it will carry both wheels about 15 feet!! I like my 882's.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001
I built a .060 flat top 350 running a Lunati Voodoo 60104LK with a set of mildly worked 882's with 2.02/1.60, I have $300.00 in the heads and I run very low 7's in the 1/8th in a 1985 S10 with a 3500 stahl. On the street I can be rolling about 35mph and give it 3/4 throttle and it will blow both tires off 1st, 2nd & 3rd, floor it at around 35mph and you're in the gaurd rail. With slicks and it hooking good it will carry both wheels about 15 feet!! I like my 882's.
heck yeah thats what im talkn about, there ant nothin wroung with them 882's!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymastermind
I have a set of Chevy heads with a casting number of 333882, with 1.94 Heads, i am hoping to make 350-375HP with them. the engine is a 350 Steel crank, 4 bolt main, 9.5:1 compression ratio with these heads, comp cams .480/.480 lift with 230/230 Duration at 0.50, 600cfm edelbrock carb, Performer RPM intake, headers with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers dumped befor rear end, and 1.5 ratio roller rockers. i just want to know if these heads will be good for my engine before i pay to have P.E.D. Rebuild the for $450?

also give me your general opinion of these heads.

thank you.
882s are a SMOG era cross over head. They have a large, open chamber. Early production 74/75 may or may not have hardened seats depending on whether the heads came off a passenger car or a truck. By 76 all were getting induction hardened seats. It only takes trying to shoot the exhaust seats or port in the port to see which. Hardened seats eat stones very fast or cut slowly on a Serdi compared to non-hardened seats, so theyíre easy to identify.

The 882 has some serious short comings with its chamber shape. These are an open chamber of 74-76, or more likely 78, CCs with the sparkplug way off on the far side of the chamber. They are an excellent low NOx emission chamber but not good at much of anything else, except if youíre running a little super charge or some nitrous. Then the extra volume helps get the larger quantities of mixture into the engine. But for running on atmospheric air pressure and gasoline, they are not the best solution. Though you can get 350 to 375 horses naturally aspirated with them but it takes a flat top piston and more cam shaft to do it.

If you figure one of these heads with flat tops having 7ccs of valve relief in the piston, in a zero decked block thatís thirty over with a .041 head gasket, the compression ratio will be about 9.1, which is probably a pretty good CR for these heads. Knowing what little I do, I'd say your 9.5 is optimistic. But to get the power up will take a good cam around the equivalent of 275 to 280 degrees. This dumps the low and mid range DCR making a balky, fuel hungry engine under 3000 RPM. Not as big a problem if you gear up for it, though the engine will stay hungry just for a different reason. But this much cam drives you to a higher stall converter and even more fuel burn. So you just start down a road of issues and problems that Vortec type heads simply solve. Besides by the time you pump the cash into the 882ís you can be looking at new technology Vortecs.

The Vortec ports flow super good out of the box, way ahead of the 882s on their best ported day. Add to that the efficiency of the tight chamber with a centrally located sparkplug it turns getting to 350-375 hp into a no brainer. Plus this can be done with a lot less cam, say a comp 256 or 262. This reduces the low RPM reverse pumping which leads to higher gearing and less of a hole in wallet at the gas pump. A comp 256 or 262 wonít require grinding on the top of the guides or a high stall converter. In addition you donít have to throw over rich mixtures that wash the oil off the cylinder walls shortening engine life. The aftermarket sells vortec type heads that will allow you to use your existing intake so your not limited to GMPP. Just go shopping over at Dart or World, and bunch of others domestic and foreign and see what they have. There is some powerful stuff out there.

So for few dollars more than rebuilding the 882ís you can get a much friendlier engine that has a real back bite if you choose to use it.

Bogie
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
I also think you are under carb'd, I would run at least a 650 Holley to keep up with that cam and the vortec heads (if you choose to run them). No opinion on the 882's, never owned a set.
Agreed that the 600 is kinda small. I used to throw away 882 heads, because there were always camelbacks (with and w/o accessory holes) available through friends. If I remember correctly, they had better flow potential than camelbacks, but the 882 combustion chamber design killed any potential gains from the extra port-flow. Correct me if I'm wrong . But, to the OP, if you feel the 882's are good, use them.

Heads that we had a whole bunch of were the "441" (not "041') heads. Typical 1.94's, but without the hardened seats. Those were always good if you were building a "torque" engine...just that they lacked hardened seats.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
882s are a SMOG era cross over head. They have a large, open chamber. Early production 74/75 may or may not have hardened seats depending on whether the heads came off a passenger car or a truck. By 76 all were getting induction hardened seats. It only takes trying to shoot the exhaust seats or port in the port to see which. Hardened seats eat stones very fast or cut slowly on a Serdi compared to non-hardened seats, so theyíre easy to identify.

The 882 has some serious short comings with its chamber shape. These are an open chamber of 74-76, or more likely 78, CCs with the sparkplug way off on the far side of the chamber. They are an excellent low NOx emission chamber but not good at much of anything else, except if youíre running a little super charge or some nitrous. Then the extra volume helps get the larger quantities of mixture into the engine. But for running on atmospheric air pressure and gasoline, they are not the best solution. Though you can get 350 to 375 horses naturally aspirated with them but it takes a flat top piston and more cam shaft to do it.

If you figure one of these heads with flat tops having 7ccs of valve relief in the piston, in a zero decked block thatís thirty over with a .041 head gasket, the compression ratio will be about 9.1, which is probably a pretty good CR for these heads. Knowing what little I do, I'd say your 9.5 is optimistic. But to get the power up will take a good cam around the equivalent of 275 to 280 degrees. This dumps the low and mid range DCR making a balky, fuel hungry engine under 3000 RPM. Not as big a problem if you gear up for it, though the engine will stay hungry just for a different reason. But this much cam drives you to a higher stall converter and even more fuel burn. So you just start down a road of issues and problems that Vortec type heads simply solve. Besides by the time you pump the cash into the 882ís you can be looking at new technology Vortecs.

The Vortec ports flow super good out of the box, way ahead of the 882s on their best ported day. Add to that the efficiency of the tight chamber with a centrally located sparkplug it turns getting to 350-375 hp into a no brainer. Plus this can be done with a lot less cam, say a comp 256 or 262. This reduces the low RPM reverse pumping which leads to higher gearing and less of a hole in wallet at the gas pump. A comp 256 or 262 wonít require grinding on the top of the guides or a high stall converter. In addition you donít have to throw over rich mixtures that wash the oil off the cylinder walls shortening engine life. The aftermarket sells vortec type heads that will allow you to use your existing intake so your not limited to GMPP. Just go shopping over at Dart or World, and bunch of others domestic and foreign and see what they have. There is some powerful stuff out there.

So for few dollars more than rebuilding the 882ís you can get a much friendlier engine that has a real back bite if you choose to use it.

Bogie
just take the 882's and mill them down 125 thousand, up the valve size (if you want) and you have a head you can work with!! Get you about 10:1 and heck run that 480" cam and the rite stall and carb, then you have a good tire burning machine!!! I wouldn't be scared to say it would be close to the 350-400hp mark!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM
More for Less Racer

You folks that think the 882 is so great, I just sent 4 to the scrapper, I can PM you with the location if you want to save them.LOL

Totally not worth the cost to recondition them, if you ever ran a better head you would already know this. By the time you mill the heck out of them and spend a bunch of money reconditioning them and time porting them you could have had a better aftermarket or Vortec head for only pennies more.

Any money spent on a smog era head is penny-wise and pound foolish.

Only reason to even bother with them is in Dirt racing that rules mandate their use - and why do the rules mandate their use?? - to keep costs down by keeping power down!! Ask any racer if they would use them if they had a choice and they will tell you NO!

So keep using those 882's and the like, it leaves more of the good Vortec heads for those of us that know better.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
You folks that think the 882 is so great, I just sent 4 to the scrapper, I can PM you with the location if you want to save them.LOL

Totally not worth the cost to recondition them, if you ever ran a better head you would already know this. By the time you mill the heck out of them and spend a bunch of money reconditioning them and time porting them you could have had a better aftermarket or Vortec head for only pennies more.

Any money spent on a smog era head is penny-wise and pound foolish.

Only reason to even bother with them is in Dirt racing that rules mandate their use - and why do the rules mandate their use?? - to keep costs down by keeping power down!! Ask any racer if they would use them if they had a choice and they will tell you NO!

So keep using those 882's and the like, it leaves more of the good Vortec heads for those of us that know better.

X2 the only good 882 head is a smelted down 882 head.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

yeah you could buy vortec heads for 6 or 700 bucks, and only get 10cc more, hell if your going to buy "NEW" heads buy some heads that would turn on some real juice, beside if you buy vortec heads you got to buy another intake to fit what 2-300 more bucks? say 700 for heads and 250 for the intake, ah O crap you couldv have just spent money on some Real heads for that kind of cash! i beleave if you dont have the cash layn around like some of these guy here "use what you got", unless you know somebody given headds away..
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastz
yeah you could buy vortec heads for 6 or 700 bucks, and only get 10cc more, hell if your going to buy "NEW" heads buy some heads that would turn on some real juice, beside if you buy vortec heads you got to buy another intake to fit what 2-300 more bucks? say 700 for heads and 250 for the intake, ah O crap you couldv have just spent money on some Real heads for that kind of cash! i beleave if you dont have the cash layn around like some of these guy here "use what you got", unless you know somebody given headds away..
I know where I can get a Vortec style aftermarket head made by RHS, with a dual bolt pattern to fit any intake, for less than $700 complete and shipped. All you have to do is search for a deal. This heads will put a 80hp+ smackdown on any balls out 882 head right out of the box, and can still be ported to be even bigger if you like. By the time you figure all the parts(valves, springs, keepers, retainers, machining, guides, etc) the 882's are just a dumb place to justify saving $100 bucks.

Don't think the runner volume is the only criteria, the design and shape is why 1.94" intake valve Vortec ports outflow even the GM Performance Bowtie heads 2.02" intake valve out-of-the box.

Someday you will learn, Padawan
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
I know where I can get a Vortec style aftermarket head made by RHS, with a dual bolt pattern to fit any intake, for less than $700 complete and shipped. All you have to do is search for a deal. This heads will put a 80hp+ smackdown on any balls out 882 head right out of the box, and can still be ported to be even bigger if you like. By the time you figure all the parts(valves, springs, keepers, retainers, machining, guides, etc) the 882's are just a dumb place to justify saving $100 bucks.

Don't think the runner volume is the only criteria, the design and shape is why 1.94" intake valve Vortec ports outflow even the GM Performance Bowtie heads 2.02" intake valve out-of-the box.

Someday you will learn, Padawan
im currently runing 882's on my 350, and no problems sofar i guess there are good ones and bad ones in them lol!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
im currently runing 882's on my 350, and no problems sofar i guess there are good ones and bad ones in them lol!
The 882 heads are fine if you just want a engine that runs.
They don't make any power.
Do not believe the info from the internet Cylinder head flow data base that says these heads flow 206cfm . THese heads in stock form flow a lot less than that.
It's not cost effective to angle mill these poor heads to get compression.

Thats why I use a ported big valved 305 HO head for low budget hi perf motors
If you want to go low buck.

The stock untouched vortecs make no less than 74 hp more than 882's on the same 350 motor. I picked up 1 full sec quarter mile, 882 to vortec swap.
The difference is impressive.
I also did the ported 305 head on this same 350 motor. The advantage is the small combustion chamber and "un restricted ports" (they still also need a ton of porting but are much better all around when finished.)

Like night and day compared to 882's.
There was nothing wrong with my 882's they just do not make any power.
Poor restrictive ports, crappy chamber. If you want more than 325 HP skip the 882's. The 882 heads have nothing going for them.

If you want to port a large chamber smog era head do a 920 or 487 or 441 head. They are a lot better than the 882.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
The 882 heads are fine if you just want a engine that runs.
They don't make any power.
Do not believe the info from the internet Cylinder head flow data base that says these heads flow 206cfm . THese heads in stock form flow a lot less than that.
It's not cost effective to angle mill these poor heads to get compression.

Thats why I use a ported big valved 305 HO head for low budget hi perf motors
If you want to go low buck.

The stock untouched vortecs make no less than 74 hp more than 882's on the same 350 motor. I picked up 1 full sec quarter mile, 882 to vortec swap.
The difference is impressive.
I also did the ported 305 head on this same 350 motor. The advantage is the small combustion chamber and "un restricted ports" (they still also need a ton of porting but are much better all around when finished.)

Like night and day compared to 882's.
There was nothing wrong with my 882's they just do not make any power.
Poor restrictive ports, crappy chamber. If you want more than 325 HP skip the 882's. The 882 heads have nothing going for them.

If you want to port a large chamber smog era head do a 920 or 487 or 441 head. They are a lot better than the 882.
hm really, ok then about those 305 heads what size valve is n those, reason why im askn is bc i have so big port 305 heads that we ran on a 355 pushn 13:1 comp with a 230@ .50 280/280 480"/480" runing down the 8th @ around 7.20 or lil lower, these heads have 1.84/1.50 the exhaust ports are 15/8's" round, it takes 13/4" headers to seal them off, the intakes are about 1.25" wide and 2" tall, thats bigger than fac rite?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
hm really, ok then about those 305 heads what size valve is n those, reason why im askn is bc i have so big port 305 heads that we ran on a 355 pushn 13:1 comp with a 230@ .50 280/280 480"/480" runing down the 8th @ around 7.20 or lil lower, these heads have 1.84/1.50 the exhaust ports are 15/8's" round, it takes 13/4" headers to seal them off, the intakes are about 1.25" wide and 2" tall, thats bigger than fac rite?
When I prepare a 305HO head with porting I use 1.94x 1.60 valves.

Blocking the ex port heat risers helps too.

You need to expand your horizons a bit with solid lifters type cams. (rev higher, more lift area under the curve for more power.) They are not hard to adjust or maintain.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
When I prepare a 305HO head with porting I use 1.94x 1.60 valves.

Blocking the ex port heat risers helps too.

You need to expand your horizons a bit with solid lifters type cams. (rev higher, more lift area under the curve for more power.) They are not hard to adjust or maintain.
i could go bigger on the the valves but i was not recomended to, because a bigger valve would shroud each other, so i staied with the 1.84's, and yeah a better cam would do so much better, but you figure if you can take a 1.50 valve and put it inside the ex port, you figure they flow out good? the intakes has been inlarged, but not as much as the ex! i plan on running them til i can aford a better head!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:21 PM

good point

thanks for the info was myself looking for the chevy head casting numbers a few days back and have been able to get the issue resolved since then

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.