Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy heads right or left hand

62K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  machine shop tom 
#1 ·
I'm looking at two '993' heads, 2.02/160. They both have 3 accessory holes on one end a single hole on the opposite end. The exhaust ports are pointing the same direction as well (not oriented as if mounted on the engine) My question is, is there really a right and left head? and does it matter that both of these heads are absolutely identical? Will they work on my engine?

#8 ·
jesse01 said:
ya sounds like you have two left feet :D

J
What are you talking about? There is no right or left side heads. They are the same even with aftermarket heads.

No matter which head goes where then accesory holes will poin the same way.

Next thing you know everyone is going to panic because the cylinder bores sit farther forward on one side of the block. :drool:

#10 ·
All joking aside,like has been said,they will match the same,whichever side you use. On a typical SBC the alternator sits on the r/t side,the PS on the the l/t side.You will more than likely just use the one lower corner hole for your alternators lowest mounting point on the head.The top bracket will attach to the top of the intake.
You PS resouiver will use two to three bolts,depending on what bracket you have,and will bolt to to the l/t head,and possibly wrap around with a seperate attachment bracket to the exhaust manifold on #1 forward most bolt.
But now the question remains,do you have the correct valve covers???? :D

#13 ·
lluciano77 said:
What are you talking about? There is no right or left side heads. They are the same even with aftermarket heads.

No matter which head goes where then accesory holes will poin the same way.

Next thing you know everyone is going to panic because the cylinder bores sit farther forward on one side of the block. :drool:
i know this, but maybe you didn't read my 1st post so i'll state this again. if you put the driver side head on the passenger side of the car the acc. holes will be towards the fire wall...duh

J

#16 ·
jesse01... NO...! The heads are the same either way... Having the single hole on the passenger head is correct... You do not need 3 mount holes in the passenger head and they were not made that way either... (possibly some of the later Vortec heads had 3 holes per end...?) Not sure on that but seem to remember they do...?

#21 ·
Fellas, it's two different generations of people and manufacturing getting the wires crossed.

Jesse's right, sorta and ya'll are too, sorta.

A whole heap of later model engines had only one end of the heads tapped and only one hole on the passenger side for the alternator, not all but a bunch.

Older, as in before the late 80's or so, it didn't matter 'cause both ends were tapped with the same pattern or just weren't tapped at all.

All of the heads will bolt on to either side and the engine will run just fine, it could care less about left or right. BUT, some later model heads will leave you wondering how to put pulleys and belts between the engine and transmission if you don't put them back on the correct side.

Larry

#22 ·
Larry... I`ll just say thanks... But I think what also your refering to are the LT iron engines which are different... But as for the reg SBC heads (most definatly the 993`s from the 1st post) its does not matter on them... The LT type blocks are different as well as the heads (reverse cooling) and thats with either the iron or alum heads, basicly a whole different animal and they are what came in the Caprice & Roadmaster and also Caddy`s after a certain year...

Apples & Oranges :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.