Chevy hot start problems narrowed down - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 09:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy hot start problems narrowed down

Since the latest jump in air temp in balmy NJ, my 69 Camaro has not wanted to restart right away once the engine is up to operating temp. Cold starts are fine. When hot, I get nothing, not even a click. if I wait a few minutes it will turn slow and eventually catch. It runs pretty cool at 150-160. I have a solenoid mounted on the firewall, so I don't think its starter heat exhaustion, although I am running headers on my 350 small block. I also have a trunk mounted battery.

From reading other posts, I have narrowed it down to:
1. electric choke problem with my new street avenger. (but if it was that, wouldn't the engine crank over but not start?)
2. timing too advanced, but I haven't changed the timing since last year. its about (10 advanced) mechanical and initail are about 34.
3. bad ground (but why would it only do it when its hot if its a bad ground)?
Any sugestions on where to start?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2003, 08:19 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Gawd I hate that problem! And it also happens with Fords, btw. The problem lies in that when the engine is hot, the starter requires more power to crank. So the first place to look is the battery and cables. If you are building a '69 Chevy rod, don't skimp on the basics. If your ground or hot bat cable is frayed, or you have bad connections, or the wiring is "so-so," upgrade the stuff because its easy to do. And one item I've found to be particularly under-diagnosed is dead or near-dead bateries. It is free to get those things tested at the parts store. If it turns out good, put a trickle charge on overnight and see if that changes things.

Then I would check the alternator system (belts, and alternator). I've found even if it the battery is charging OK and not having a "dead" problem, an older alternator is always in the "decay" stages as parts begin to wear. So even if the output is enough to keep you starting in the cold, the peculiarities of your engine when it gets hot might demand a greater charge to the battery. Next time you stop after its been running and it is hot, turn all the electrical devices off and idle it at 1500-2000 RPM for about two minutes before you turn it off. Then wait about 3-4 minutes and try starting.

I'm still working on the main cable upgrade on my Chevy Firebird 305 (but I have the daily driver and a hauler to deal with first), and that compartment is a real chore to work in and under. You'd be surprised how many vehicles are driving around out there with poor connections and junk battery cables. If I finish the wiring piece, and it still gives me the hot start problem, I will upgrade to a higher HP output/smaller sized starter.

Timing could be a problem, but this timing light invention works remarkably well to set that to spec with...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

My Brother's truck had the same problem. I moved the solenoid to the firewall, underneath the fender (it helped hide it so the engine bay still looked clean), and it helped out a bit. Then I noticed that the cable was rotted about half way through so I changed that as well, and that almost cured it all the way. It's still a little sluggish on real hot days, but always turns over and starts. I figure to wait until the starter gives until I get a new one, but it's not doing too bad for a 10 year old stock starter.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:35 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

balmy NJ, gotta love it

just loved my two years in toms river, but summer in rockaway was even better.
i've read that the ignition switch can get over heated. you only have a switched solenoid tho so it seems like that should eliminate that problem. they sell those little metal heat sheilds for the starter which should help as well as some asbestos, or near-asbestos if you can find any. just for grins when it does not want to start, run a hot to the solenoid terminal from your key, bypassing the ign. sw. and see if you can start it then. did you say the bat. was in the trunk? if so the best thing is to get some arc welding lead cable and use that. there is nothing better. have the terminals professionally crimped on by somebody, tho.good luck, pretty common prob. say hi to giovanni's pizza in seaside hgts for me, and a little slut named karen dawson who i used to be married to
Old 07-03-2003, 11:35 AM

Bullheimer - sure everone "knows" Karen at Seaside. (just kidding)

Thanks for the help guys. This weekend should be hot enough to test and tune to see if I can get rid of the problem. I'll start with the timing, and then do the cables and grounds.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

karen dawson....

NO WAY.
small world huh Bull.........
slut.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:41 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

YEAH, WAY!

She gets around!!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:06 PM

I would start with the battery testing and cable checking first.. Had a similar problem in my 85 F150 and it turned out to be bad cables, they were all corroded and nastified, changed them out and had to replace the battery by the time I figured out the cables were bad , and zingo.... No more hot start probs.... , But then again When I first picked up the truck had a similar prob too, but that was becasue the timing chain was soooo streatched out that I took the chain off without removing the sprokets... But it has 240K miles on it toooo... Not bad for a FORD huh.. Take that Toyota... LOL.....So the moral of the story is ... Could be either....So check em both...... Have a Happy 4th everybody..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.