Chevy II Front Clip Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy II Front Clip Help

I have a 62 Chevy II that I am considering installing a new front clip from a donor vehicle and would like feedback on the idea I have in mind.

I also have a 1980 Chevy Luv and have a SBC in it already with headers already tucked inside the frame rails and it has discs already and thinking of cutting the front end off the Luv and doing a little fabrication work and installing it on the Chevy II. My ultimate goal is to have a tilt front end on the Chevy II and thus need to get rid of the shock towers on it and have something a little better handling than the old Chevy II front end.

Any thoughts on the swap?

I do have some older ET type mags on the Luv and the front wheels are the stock 6 bolt hub so think I might be a little limited in wheel selection. Could always go with the old wheels for more of an old school look.

How do you think the steering will work? I saw in another thread about using a Camaro clip in a Chevy II with some concerns about the steering box.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM

sweet

yea if you go with the camaro clip still a ton of work i would buils a square tube clip and do a tube upper controle arm and do a heim style lower with coilovers no you dont have to spend 7,000 on a clip then another 2.000 to put it on you can build a clip on the ground as long as you build fixtures to keep it square and do all you tabs for controle arms and rac steering etc when its on the car if you need some ideas email me directly boosting27psi@yahoo.com i have done tons of clips and conversions did some rhd clip swaps and stuff and built clips for race cars forever so jujst shoot me an email
Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosting27
yea if you go with the camaro clip still a ton of work i would buils a square tube clip and do a tube upper controle arm and do a heim style lower with coilovers no you dont have to spend 7,000 on a clip then another 2.000 to put it on
I do a lot of clips jobs..And ''NEVER'' cost no where's near $7,000 for a clip,or $2000 to put it on..Man where did you come up with these ###'s...I did several this past year..And It can be done way cheaper then that.I'm Sorry..But your way off.. On your price.. And as far as building a new one,I can put a clip on a car before you even build your jig..
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvRod
I have a 62 Chevy II that I am considering installing a new front clip from a donor vehicle and would like feedback on the idea I have in mind.

I also have a 1980 Chevy Luv and have a SBC in it already with headers already tucked inside the frame rails and it has discs already and thinking of cutting the front end off the Luv and doing a little fabrication work and installing it on the Chevy II. My ultimate goal is to have a tilt front end on the Chevy II and thus need to get rid of the shock towers on it and have something a little better handling than the old Chevy II front end.

Any thoughts on the swap?

I do have some older ET type mags on the Luv and the front wheels are the stock 6 bolt hub so think I might be a little limited in wheel selection. Could always go with the old wheels for more of an old school look.

How do you think the steering will work? I saw in another thread about using a Camaro clip in a Chevy II with some concerns about the steering box.

Any help is appreciated.
You need to check the width before you cut anything..The Camaro clip may be a little wide for that car..You need to check a lot before going that way..The Luv isn't a good choice..Can't you just update that front end..
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM

ok

yea i clip racecars for a living right way wrong way jigs thats why there made because when you weld thet twist there bud
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
yea i clip racecars for a living right way wrong way jigs thats why there made because when you weld thet twist there bud

I'm very aware of how to do it.. I have been down that road more then once..

This is a frame I just built for my 41 willys..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3700.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	40110   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3935.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	40111   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3689.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	40112  

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 08-20-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 PM

and ill admit prices are a little off but thats with like the best of best parts
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

hey that looks like a buy jk nice work how do you post pix
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
and ill admit prices are a little off but thats with like the best of best parts

I have a Art Morrison front end on my 41 frame and It was only About $3300.00 and you can't buy much better then that..$7,000 for a clip.. Man the a-arm's must be made out of ''Gold''...
Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM

tube upper sweet mfg rac speed way spendals and willwood 6 pistion calipers and willwood hubs slotted and drilled wilwood rotors and ohlins coilovers o yea and then buing the chassis from f body creations
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 PM

Control Arms

Have you seen the Church Boys Control Arms and their steering set up? It is made for a Chevy II. Only problem is they don't have the upper arms yet to get rid of the shock towers and I want to tilt the front end and need to get rid of the shock set up the Chevy II's had.
Here is their link. http://www.churchboysracing.com/

What do you think? I have read some on them and the reports I have seen say they are pretty good, but the top arms would have to be figured out. Any ideas on that?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 PM

i spent 5800 on the frontend then a shop wanted 120and hr to put it on because i didnt have the time o yea for a 79 camaro
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
tube upper sweet mfg rac speed way spendals and willwood 6 pistion calipers and willwood hubs slotted and drilled wilwood rotors and ohlins coilovers o yea and then buing the chassis from f body creations

Well when the guy asked about a Camaro Clip,I don't think he was wanting all the best money can buy..Usually people that want to clip there car is looking for a easy and cheap way to go...And most of the time putting A Camaro clip, Is the way to do it the cheapest and get a very good ride..And A lot of the Camaro clip's are in good enough shape to put them right in without costing any where's near $7,000 plus $2,000 ...Man What did you say the name of your shop was ???
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 PM

there not bad but yea uppers still an issue u just need to go with tube chassi set up with and upper controle arm and coilovers the best fix
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i spent 5800 on the frontend then a shop wanted 120and hr to put it on because i didnt have the time o yea for a 79 camaro

Sorry.. but they took you for your money..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 08-20-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.