Chevy II Swap - Frame Mounts, Etc... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 01:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy II Swap - Frame Mounts, Etc...

Hi Guys,
I just picked up a '63 Nova SS this weekend. I was wondering what it takes to swap out the frame mounts from the old L6 to the new V8? I have found a pair of powdercoated mounts from this site: Parts Pete's Novas

I am guessing they are a direct bolt-on, correct? They say they include hardware, so this should be some kind of clue, but I want to be sure.

I am also noticed that this site says the 6&8 cylinder has the same front springs. Will I need to beef up the front end? It says the springs from the optional A/C and wagons are different. Should I look for a set of these to help with the weight, is there much difference? (Anyone have any extra springs around the garage from a clip upgrade?)

Will a TH400 fit under the stock tunnel? The floor pans are in good shape and I don't want to hack the car apart. Anyone know where to get a crossmember for this setup?

One last question... Will swapping out the mono-leaf for triple-leafs help with the rear end height. How much extra height will I get from this, and will it help with tire clearances?

(I will also post the tranny question under the transmission forum, I just needed to get some advise from you guys that only look over the engine posts )
Thanks,
Rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Might find the answer here:

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/
Old 03-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Besides mounts you are going to have a Chevy11 oil pan and pickup. The steering gear will hit a regular Chevy pan.

Budget RVs
Old 03-28-2004, 08:17 PM

We converted a 63 wagon from 6 cyl to small block. Go to Steves Nova site for Nova questions and you can call Chevy II Only for any conversion part you will need. They have kits to do everything. 1-502-239-6740 for the tech line and 1-502-239-8487 to order or ask for a catalog. We did not change front springs in ours and havent had any problems. Along with the oil pan pick-up tube and oil pump shaft you also need throttle linkage and also a bigger radiator. I did not try but I was told a turbo 400 wont fit with out at least bending some sheetmetal. I do know that a turbo 350 will fit ok with a little work on the cross member. Or a new one from Chevy II only. ccnova
Old 03-28-2004, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Hey Guys...
Thanks for the replies... I have the oil pan, pickup, and tube. I got the Milodon 6qt. with the Milodon HV/HP pump and pickup. Thanks so much for the notes about the springs, I don't know about the wagon springs, do you know if they are stronger than the coupe and sedan? This is what I am worried about. I don't know if there is anything to worry about, but I just don't want a big surprise, like my pan sitting on the ground!

Here are two posts I pulled from the other board regarding the TH400. It looks like it will fit, but note how the '64 has the IFS clip. I don't know if this will move the tranny down and allow for more clearance, or if it mounts the engine and trans exactly as stock. Anyone know if the aftermarket clip changes any of the mounting height? The only thing it looks like I can do it mock a block and empty trans case and check for tunnel clearance. If it will fit, I will need to fabricate a new trans xmember.

"Can someone tell me what needs to be done to swap a TH400 into a first gen? I currently have a P/G in my '63, but I have been told the 400 won't fit without modifying the trans tunnel. Can anyone elaborate on how much modification is required? Large hammer or cutting, etc.? Thanks!"

"I have a 400 in mine with not problems at all. I made a new crossmember and it fit right in.

Frank"

Here is "Franks" webpage... Car Domain

As far as the radiator, I don't have one yet. I will be running a full aluminum setup w/electric fans. What are the best?

Anyone have anything else; please fire it my way... I am hungry for any info. Thanks, Rick
Old 03-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

As for the radiator. I would go with the Aluminum and electric fans. Some will say stick with the regular fan, but I like the electrics myself. I do have a question about the TH400. Why use a 400, a 350 is lighter. I just personally think a 350 suits the car a little better. You should be just fine with the springs in the front. Post some pics!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

I will defiantly go with the aluminum radiator and electric fans. I have already put a CSI pump on the motor, so it will try to run dual fans if I can get them to fit.
Thanks for the help with the springs. I still see people saying that the V8 springs are different, is this true? I will try to use the stock springs and change them out if they are too soft.
As far as the trans... I was having a hard time finding a decent car at a reasonable price. I decided to start building the engine and tranny before I got the car. I didn't know quite what I was getting into with the TH400. I now realize that it may be a little difficult to get it installed, but they are much stronger and can take any abuse I give it. Well, I don't plan to abuse the car, but I do need it to be dependable and I know the TH400 will do it for me. I don't trust the TH350 with 550-600HP and a shot on top of that. I'll let you know how it turns out... I am going to fabricate my own crossmember and I'll post some pictures to the board when I am finished. Do you all not agree with me on the use of the TH400? I know it will cost me a few extra ponies (~15HP), but I think it is worth it. I'll also post some pics of the car next weekend... It is still out of town. Thanks Guys!
Rick

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.