Chevy master cylinder power or manual - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 09:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy master cylinder power or manual

I'm doing a brake conversion, I have a single reservoir non power cylinder and want to put in a dual reservior, I don't have room to convert to power assist but how much difference is there between the power and manual cylinder as to if they interchangeable. Thanks, Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

Power brakes mostly make it easier to use. I am sure there are some-folks that will disagree but Thats my take. You didn't say if you are keeping your drum brakes or upgrading to disk. I will assume you are keeping your drum brakes. You must use a drum brake master cylinder. Also it must be big enough to handle your brake requirements. It would be hard to becomend a master cylinder without more info.
You will need to split your current brake line setup in to 2 circuits front and rear.

HTH
Richard
Old 05-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Last photo:

As noted previous, there are differences between manual and power master cylinders. Contrary to popular belief, power brakes DOES NOT improve your braking.

Vince
Old 05-26-2005, 02:37 PM

I needed to add a little more info currently I have drums all around and I'm installing disc's in the front, I didn't know if there were physically a difference between the master cylinders,bore size or any other factors,given the space I'm working with the corvette 67 and up looks pretty good I just wasn't sure if power vs non power cylinder would make a difference I know I'll need a prop.valve but I'm still scrounging parts up. Thanks for any help. Eric
Old 05-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

Use a Disc brake master cylinder then. I dont know that you will need a prop valve. Your brake system will be more disc's than rear drums. I would guess 70% maybe 80% front to rear. once you get it figured out what you will be using for brakes I'll bet the the big brake places would have some ideas what to use. At least from what they sell.

richard.

I would have bet the 67 Vette should have had discs as a option. I thought the 67 camaro did. I would think using brakes from a vette would be easiest, but it might be expensive to find factory stuff now that everyone want's to make big bucks just cause it a vette part.

Last edited by PapaG; 05-26-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Power vs. non= less pedal input. If you have weak legs or are lazy, power brakes are a good thing. If you use them to cover up another deficiency in braking... not so good.

Disc/drum master cylinders:
Power vs. non
Some use same, some different.

It is a function of pedal ratio (pushrod fulcrum), pushrod length, booster capacity, and some other factors.

If your pedal ratio is less than 6:1, you normally step down ~1/16-1/8" in bore size from the power brakes, which often has ~ a 3.5:1 ratio+booster.

Master size can also vary depending on individual taste... at least in rodding... A large bore will give little pedal travel, but will be harder to push. A smaller bore will have more pedal travel, but the effort is not as high.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info, as I said just gatering parts so I have as much as possible before I start and was looking for info and suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Last photo:

Raybestos makes a new master cylinder for the 69 Corvette. Look for one for the following specs. Do not, I repeat, do not be tempted to go rebuilt on the master cylinder. The price differential is not worth it. You can order one online from Advance Auto Parts, it's about $70.

69 Corvette
427cid 435hp
4 wheel manual discs

I have one on my 34 Coupe.

Vince

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.