Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chevy milage best option, transmission, heads or rear end
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350pano
So thats all I can think of. I drive like a nana, not after power or speed, more just a car I can afford to drive!
Your post (or the wording contained in it) has prompted my somewhat unconventional response. Take it for what it's worth. No offense intended.

Well it sounds like a fairly nice combo for the street.

Obviously from your statement it really is not what you want though.

Going to an overdrive trans will only benefit if your normal driving is at freeway speeds.

Depending on how you drive, a standard shift trans might help in the MPG area.

Going to a higher (lower numerically) rear gear ratio than what you currently have will once again primarily only help at freeway speeds. Around town in stop and go traffic the performance will be so sluggish that your mileage will actually go down.

Swapping the heads for higher compression will not help. As it is you are running an octane higher than what your combo should require. Your engine should run fine on 87 octane and that is less expensive than the octane you are presently running of 98. Why are you using that octane of gas with the low compression heads?

Swapping the cam to one closer to the stock factory specs might help by 1-2 MPG and will decrease your overall performance.

Pull the V-8 and swap in a straight six and you should gain a few MPG.

Best bet for you is to sell that car and buy a cheap compact 4 cylinder grocery getter.