Chevy Oil Pickup Installation Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy Oil Pickup Installation Question

Hi

I have a new oil pump and a new pickup tube for my chevy. It's a stock pump and stock pickup tube - nothing fancy here.

QUESTION:

Does the pickup tube have to be "fully" inserted in the oil pump - or can it be inserted like half way if that's as far as I can get it to go?

I pounded it in pretty hard, and got it about half way. I put oil on it. It doesnt want to go any further. I don't want to break/bend it. I measured the distance from the pickup to the bottom of the pan - adjusted to about 3/8". I will tack weld the pickup tube to the oil pump so it won't fall off.

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Last photo:

It is supposed to be inserted all the way up to the bulge in the pipe. There is a tool for this, but I have used an appropriately sized open end wrench and a hammer to install them before.

Vince
Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
It is supposed to be inserted all the way up to the bulge in the pipe. There is a tool for this, but I have used an appropriately sized open end wrench and a hammer to install them before.

Vince
yes I used an "adjustable" wrench and a hammer to get a tight fit around it - still won't go in all the way - and it's starting to damage the "bulge" on the pickup tube - I will eventually break it and it's only 1/2 way in. Maybe I'll get my engine shop to do it.

Lee
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Is it going in straight? It's sometimes hard to tell because the metal will conform to a certain degree allowing it to go in until it just stops. Pull the pickup back out and look for a "step" looking toolmark going halfway around the tube. If there is, this is a sure indicator of going in crooked. I learned that that it helps to rotate the wrench side to side while tapping it to help keep the tube centered.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstMech
Is it going in straight? It's sometimes hard to tell because the metal will conform to a certain degree allowing it to go in until it just stops. Pull the pickup back out and look for a "step" looking toolmark going halfway around the tube. If there is, this is a sure indicator of going in crooked. I learned that that it helps to rotate the wrench side to side while tapping it to help keep the tube centered.

And wear a glove it smart's in your hand.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

sometimes there can be a problem mixing and matching pickup's with oil pumps, are you using a moroso pickup with a meiling pump (or something of the nature)?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstMech
it may not be going straight it - I'll look closer at it tonight and try again - just seem like a PITA for this thing to be so difficult to go in. I understand they dont want it to ever fall out, but if you smash it up during that installation that's not very good either.

I was considering "honing" the oil pump housing and removing .002" or so to make it a bit easier going in - I was going to weld it on anyway so I'm not worried about it falling out. If I remove material though it means I have to take apart the pump and clean it out afterwards.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
sometimes there can be a problem mixing and matching pickup's with oil pumps, are you using a moroso pickup with a meiling pump (or something of the nature)?
No I'm using a Melling with a Melling.

I'll just have to oil it up a bit more and wack it harder and make sure it's straight. If I had something better then a wrench to fit around that collar to wack on that would help.

Lee
Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

somebody at another forum told me about this tool available at autozone as a rental. guess where I'm going after work?

Lee

Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Put the pickup in the freezer overnight.......with it cold, it will shrink a bit and with the pump at room temp, it should go in easier.

Budget RVs
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

it occured to me...........If I have to beat on this thing with a hammer and a special tool to press it into the pump housing - why would it fall off?

Do I really need to weld or braze the thing on there? Where's it going? Something that would take that much force and pounding to get it on would not fall off in my opinoin - especially if nothing is pulling on it.

Maybe I would be better off just leaving it as it.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

I have never welded one yet nor had one fall off in 20 years of dirt tracking.And I never could figure out how you could get a good weld between a cast iron pump and steel tube. Brazing might make sense but I doubt it is really needed.I notice the factory doesn,t bother with it.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I've never welded or brazed one yet either.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
I have never welded one yet nor had one fall off in 20 years of dirt tracking.And I never could figure out how you could get a good weld between a cast iron pump and steel tube. Brazing might make sense but I doubt it is really needed.I notice the factory doesn,t bother with it.
well if you havent seen one fall off in 20 years of dirt track racing and the factory doesnt do it then why should I?

That settles it. If I can get it fully seated with that installation tool I'll just leave it alone.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.