Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy Oil Pickup Installation Question

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  leejoy 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a new oil pump and a new pickup tube for my chevy. It's a stock pump and stock pickup tube - nothing fancy here.

QUESTION:

Does the pickup tube have to be "fully" inserted in the oil pump - or can it be inserted like half way if that's as far as I can get it to go?

I pounded it in pretty hard, and got it about half way. I put oil on it. It doesnt want to go any further. I don't want to break/bend it. I measured the distance from the pickup to the bottom of the pan - adjusted to about 3/8". I will tack weld the pickup tube to the oil pump so it won't fall off.

Lee

#3 ·
302 Z28 said:
It is supposed to be inserted all the way up to the bulge in the pipe. There is a tool for this, but I have used an appropriately sized open end wrench and a hammer to install them before.

Vince
yes I used an "adjustable" wrench and a hammer to get a tight fit around it - still won't go in all the way - and it's starting to damage the "bulge" on the pickup tube - I will eventually break it and it's only 1/2 way in. Maybe I'll get my engine shop to do it.

Lee

#4 ·
Is it going in straight? It's sometimes hard to tell because the metal will conform to a certain degree allowing it to go in until it just stops. Pull the pickup back out and look for a "step" looking toolmark going halfway around the tube. If there is, this is a sure indicator of going in crooked. I learned that that it helps to rotate the wrench side to side while tapping it to help keep the tube centered.

#5 ·
BstMech said:
Is it going in straight? It's sometimes hard to tell because the metal will conform to a certain degree allowing it to go in until it just stops. Pull the pickup back out and look for a "step" looking toolmark going halfway around the tube. If there is, this is a sure indicator of going in crooked. I learned that that it helps to rotate the wrench side to side while tapping it to help keep the tube centered.

And wear a glove it smart's in your hand. :thumbup:

#7 ·
BstMech said:
it may not be going straight it - I'll look closer at it tonight and try again - just seem like a PITA for this thing to be so difficult to go in. I understand they dont want it to ever fall out, but if you smash it up during that installation that's not very good either.

I was considering "honing" the oil pump housing and removing .002" or so to make it a bit easier going in - I was going to weld it on anyway so I'm not worried about it falling out. If I remove material though it means I have to take apart the pump and clean it out afterwards.

#8 ·
Double_v23 said:
sometimes there can be a problem mixing and matching pickup's with oil pumps, are you using a moroso pickup with a meiling pump (or something of the nature)?
No I'm using a Melling with a Melling.

I'll just have to oil it up a bit more and wack it harder and make sure it's straight. If I had something better then a wrench to fit around that collar to wack on that would help.

Lee

#11 ·
it occured to me...........If I have to beat on this thing with a hammer and a special tool to press it into the pump housing - why would it fall off?

Do I really need to weld or braze the thing on there? Where's it going? Something that would take that much force and pounding to get it on would not fall off in my opinoin - especially if nothing is pulling on it.

Maybe I would be better off just leaving it as it.

Your thoughts?

#12 ·
I have never welded one yet nor had one fall off in 20 years of dirt tracking.And I never could figure out how you could get a good weld between a cast iron pump and steel tube. Brazing might make sense but I doubt it is really needed.I notice the factory doesn,t bother with it.

#14 ·
barnym17 said:
I have never welded one yet nor had one fall off in 20 years of dirt tracking.And I never could figure out how you could get a good weld between a cast iron pump and steel tube. Brazing might make sense but I doubt it is really needed.I notice the factory doesn,t bother with it.
well if you havent seen one fall off in 20 years of dirt track racing and the factory doesnt do it then why should I?

That settles it. If I can get it fully seated with that installation tool I'll just leave it alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.