chevy operating temps and heating up problems!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chevy operating temps and heating up problems!!

well i got ahold of a isuzu truck with a chevy 350 in it. but im having problems with it heating up.now i only have the factory gauge off of the isuzu truck so im not sure if maybe the gauge might not be working properly with the engine. im going to go buy an aftermarket gauge tomorrow so now i would like to know whats the normal operating temps so that i can test it tomorrow and hopefully its not the motor heating up. im new to the whole v8 scene so im sorry if any of my questions are ignorant! but i really appreciate any help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

my truck is a 1991 Isuzu truck w/ a carb. 350 out of an older Chevy truck.Driveline:
Carb.ed Chevy 350 w/ 262cam, new waterpump, 160 t-stat, billet pulleys, fresh rebuild on Edlbrock 750 Carb, Edl. performer intake man., new timing chain and gears w/ chrome cover, HEI dist., new plugs and wires, electric fan, relocated battery (to bed), New multi color tach, 2 year old turbo 350 trans w/ shiftkit, Monte Carlo drive shaft, S10 rear axle w/ 3.08 gear, adapters for 6 lug rims on rear, new tries in rear, tru dual exhaust w turndowns under bed.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 AM

You didn't mention what kind of fan & shroud you have. I had a problem heating up until I installed an electric fan with a complete shroud for the radiator and located the temp switch near the thermostat on the intake. Once I did this the cooling problems were solved.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

If your gauge is electric, It probably is not matched to the Chevy Sender resistance..the sender must be the same resistance as required by the gauge to operate, for instance, if the gauge needs 0 to 30 ohms to make a full sweep, the sender must be 0 to 30..or it will be in error.Same applies to an aftermarket electrical.

Be Sure the FAN is rotated the right direction..(blowing toward the engine) If not reverse the power leads and check for airflow direction.

Make sure you have a shroud, AND it' is effective for directing airflow over the engine..

Get ALL the air out of the system, burp it from the recovery can by using a lesser pressure cap, and let it idle until no air is expelled into the coolant recovery can, works best jacked slightly up, on a full system..don't let it overheat..when done let it cool, replace with the proper cap and top off the recovery can..don't let the recovery can run dry during the procedure.

Be sure the thermostat is proper and working! Normal operating temps for the engine are between 195 and 220..below or above are not desirable.

Doc
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Trying a different gauge would definitely be a good idea, I have never found factory gauges to be especially trustworthy.

You didn't mention the radiator, please tell us it does NOT still have the Isuzu radiator.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

well im not too sure what type of radiator it is but it is off of a another v8 car/truck. it has an electric fan in the front side of the truck. but i had though of what you guys said about it running the wrong way. i took my battery to get checked and ill be picking it up in a little bit and ill test what you guys said out also ill buy one of those temp gauges.thanks every one for their thoughts
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

well i bought me a temp gauge and now its not heating up at all. so im guessing it was using the regular temp gauge that was throwing it off! so thanx everyone for their help

here are some pix incase anyone cares lol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.