Chevy overdrive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 12:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy overdrive

I plan on putting a 200r4 in my monte behind a 383cid, I now have a th350 with 3:73 rear gears. My question is has anyone used the 200r4 that was beefed to handle 400hp or more? My cruising rpm's is 3000@60mph I drive my car hard, some weekend racing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

The 2004r can be built to handle a lot of power. Just look at the buick grand nationals. A lot of the GN guys are making huge power and still using that tranny.
dh
Old 07-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Last journal entry: As of about 4/2004
Last photo:

Monte,

I agree with dh79.

Check out these links:
www.bowtieoverdrives.com
or: http://www.phoenixtrans.com

The 2004R is a little wider than your TH350, so measure the pan area to be sure. You may also have some driveshaft modifications and crossmember modifications. Check the measurements first and give the vendors a call. They can help you a lot.

You will have the Overdrive and 4 speeds for more performance, and highway mileage if you want it. You should be able to be around 2,200 at 60 once you get the overdrive and lockup converter. I know with the 700R4 you can wire it to lock up in all gears, but not sure about the 2004R. I just swapped my TH350 for a 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives, and I love it.

Your 3:73 gears should be about perfect for good launch and good (low) rpms on the highway.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

The reason I asked is I smoked two th2004r's before I installed the th350 (the th350 was built to handle 400+hp) But now that I changed my rear to a 3:73 would like to bring down my rpm's on freeway plus the th2004r has a lower first ratio, I know that bow tie trans offers a 200r4 that can take the hp, just wondering if anyone has used one of these trans and had good luck with one behind a high hp engine. The reason I want a 200r4 it is a bolt in no drive shaft mods.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If you get onto Bowtie Overdrives' website and can find the information on their warranty, they seem to have a pretty good reputation for their transmissions, AS LONG AS YOU GO BY THE BOOK WITH THEIR INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION.
They are meticulous in their set-up procedure and break-in period recommendations, which if are not followed to their version of a "T" make it you own fault for transmission failure.
I don't know about anyone else but when I ordered the speedometer gears from them last week I had to initial my online order stating I had read their instructions anyway, even though I only bought a speedometer gear kit.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

200r4

brake in period????? I've been in the tranny bussiness over 25 years and a transmission is either correct or not when its in the car after rebuild..... cable set is the answer here
Old 07-22-2004, 06:50 PM

this ? is off of your topic but is that ur mailbox?? if soo thats pretty sweet
Old 07-24-2004, 11:29 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:

Bought a 700r4 from bowtieOD about a month ago... Bad experience from day one... Sent the wrong installation instructions for the TV cable, told me to send the TV cable & acc back at my expense so they could switch out the instructions, and make sure it was the right TV cable (i didnt)... however they were helpful with installing the cable the correct way (15 calls to solve that problem)... Followed the rest of thier instruction book word by word, called about 5 more times until pressures and fluid level were exactly what they wanted... took it out, did the 'break in', flawless... (I have the model built to handle 600+ HP/TQ) Im running at the most 350 ft/lbs and 300 something HP, IF that. since then the tranny has a little under 300 miles on it and after 200 or so miles it went to crap... loud clanking noises during Idle shifts, full throttle shifts make the tranny 'jump' causing the tail to hit the tunnel walls... Only way to get the tranny fixed under warrenty is to pull it, and spend another $300+ for shipping back to see if it qualifies for the warrenty, then wait...

Im not happy with BowtieOverdrives at all.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Re: 200r4

Quote:
Originally posted by airworld2
brake in period????? I've been in the tranny bussiness over 25 years and a transmission is either correct or not when its in the car after rebuild..... cable set is the answer here
Yes "break in period" is what BTO calls it, and they won't give a warranty to ANY of their transmissions unless you install a filter in the return cooling line. I have never heard of any rebuilder mandating a break in period for their transmissions except for them.

It doesn't matter how long anyone has been in the business, and you are completely right with this, it's the first I have heard of also.

It doesn't matter who builds or installs this transmission, TV cable adjustment is going to make or break that transmission.

I had enough of a run-around just trying to get the speedometer gears from them. I made 6 calls to them over that.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

chevy overdrive

there are many company's on the net and local here as well that make many claims what their transmission's will do.... But when you tell them you have trouble your at fault one way or another.
Transmission shop have enough of a bad Rap without the net guy's doing the o' thats not our fault line after some one has spent WAY too much and gotten WAY to little.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone, think I will find a good shop locally, anyone know a good trans shop around the Albany New York area?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Arch, If the tail shaft is hitting the floor, you have a rear mount out.
And that is probably what's wrong.

If you had to make 15 calls to figure out how to install a cable, then you do have a problem.

I ship tyrannies. for $60.00 and short blocks for $75.00. picked up at my door.

Troy
Old 07-31-2004, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

http://www.ckperformance.com/stg_200R4.html

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.