Chevy proportioning vavle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy proportioning vavle?

I'm doing a low buck disc brake conversion on a 64 chevy van, I have a proportioning valve off from a 96 S10 I need to identify the connections on the valve.The valve still has the 2 lines on it that connected to the master cylinder but do they enter the valve from the top or the bottom? One end of the valve is taller 2" vs 1.5" opposite the lines entering the valve from the master cylinder. Can someone out there help me to identify which end goes to the front and which one goes to the rear? And which position to mount the valve with the lines from the cylinder entering from the bottom or the top. Thank you for any info. Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 08:34 AM
CRASH TEST DUMMY !!!!!!

Last photo:

pro-valves

if your doing complete disc...4 wheels.... you need need a 4 wheel disc. pro valve....
if your doing front disc...rear drum...you need that pro-valve...
the larger of the fittings go to the rear...more volume to travel the distance..
more fluid for drum wheel cyls....
hope this helps.....your pal mark
Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the info, Unfortunatley this on has the same size fittings so I'm still kind of stuck I'll see if I can find someone with a S10 and peek under the hood.Any other help would be appreciated it is going to be disc front drum rear. Thanks again. Eric
Old 10-31-2005, 02:47 AM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

If this is the valve assembly you have, it is appears to be oriented with the front showing. It appears to be the taller side.

To be sure, as stated, that valve assembly is spec'd for the specific weights and brake systems of the vehicles it was factory installed on.

The pic (if it showed up) shows the cap for the front brake's metering valve. It has a small hole in it. Some metering caps have a pin sticking out with a rubber boot.
The rear cap will either be a solid nut, or have the rear line outlet as part of it. The rear brake's proportioning valve is held inside or behind the rear cap.
This valve to me appears to be on its side, and the switch and inlets would point up, but it could mount either way. I wouldn't face them downward.

Another link in case pic didn't show (pic not as good):
http://catservices.wrencheadpro.com/...D/172-2069.jpg
Old 10-31-2005, 08:08 AM

Thank you for the info, the valve picture looks almost identical to the one I have and I appreciate the detail that you gave me, It will help alot. Eric
Old 11-02-2005, 12:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

You mean one of these?

To the right is the rear brake proportioning valve assembly. There are 2 o-ring seals inside the threaded cap. The inlet is on top and the outlet on the bottom.

To the left is the front brake hold off valve assembly. Again the inlet is on the top and the outlet on the bottom.

What isn't shown is the shuttle rod that throws the brake light switch (for the idiot light on the dash) as it is still inside the housing.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you are using disc brakes all around you generally don't use a proportioning valve, though on a truck with a light rear you might want one. Disc all around cars usually use just a junction block with the brake warning light switch in it only. If you use a proportioning valve make sure it's for disc brakes. You can get great general brake system design info from www.mpbrakes.com. Check it out!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.