Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just buy a Chevy Van 1987 S/V (a kind of pannel) with a 350 and an overdrive transmission.

My question is:

Is that most complicated or expensive to build a 350 CI to this years. I know they are another generation, I know Pre-86 chevy , but not after this years. This motor Had a Roller Cam??

Can anybody can give me information!

Other question: Does the transmission is a 700R4 or anything else (this transmission have a overdrive. Can a transmission like this can handle a 550 hp?

And the last question, I want to know what is the gear of the rear end, do you think is a 3.73, or a 4.10 and the most important, Do you think is a 7.5 or a 8.5 10 bolts differential

If anybody can give me information..

Oh I forget to ask, how many HP you think a stock 350 like this can produced.

I bough this van for moving my chevy nova ss to the drag strip, do you think this van will be enough powerful to pull my car. The motor have around 200 000 kilometers on the odometer. I know I will probably have to rebuilt it but...

Thanks in advance to answer my question.

Have a nice day everyone.

Stephane

FORGOT TO ASKED SOMETHING ELSE: It's a van, does it's supposed to be a 4 bolts or a 2 bolts. I think is for heavy duty, it will be probably a 4 bolts. I hope so.

See less See more
#2 ·
The engine would not have come from the factory with a roller cam, but it is possible that the block might be able to accept the factory-style roller cam & valve train.

As far as 4-bolt or 2-bolt mains, the only way to tell would be to remove the oil pan and look inside.

If it's full-sized Chevy van, it should pull a Nova just fine, as long as the cooling systems (engine and transmission) and brakes are up to the task. That's assuming a reasonable rear end gear ratio. I would NOT recommend towing with the transmission in overdrive, however.

I don't know what rear end it would have, but here's a site with information and pictures regarding 7.5" & 8.5" GM rear end identification:

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/axle_ident.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.