Chevy SB gen 1 and gen2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 AM
http://www.backfalt.fi/indexse

Last journal entry: Torque Converter
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy SB gen 1 and gen2

Hey! Chevrolet SB generation2 Cylinder heads do they fit on a generation1 block? i found some Aluminium cylinder heads at work and they looked really similar to the gen1 heads! except some wather crossovers in the back!

i dont remember the numbers but it ha 2inch intake 1.6 ex175cc intake runner Thant's all i remember i ve got the numbers on a paper in my garage! it was from a 96 camaro!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 AM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian
Hey! Chevrolet SB generation2 Cylinder heads do they fit on a generation1 block? i found some Aluminium cylinder heads at work and they looked really similar to the gen1 heads! except some wather crossovers in the back!

i dont remember the numbers but it ha 2inch intake 1.6 ex175cc intake runner Thant's all i remember i ve got the numbers on a paper in my garage! it was from a 96 camaro!
If you mean from a one piece main seal to a 2 piece main seal, yes they will fit. All heads have water passage on both ends.
If they are Vortec heads with center bolt valave covers, you ll need a Vortec style intake manifold and I think exhaust is different too.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd
If you mean from a one piece main seal to a 2 piece main seal, yes they will fit. All heads have water passage on both ends.
If they are Vortec heads with center bolt valave covers, you ll need a Vortec style intake manifold and I think exhaust is different too.
The Cylinder head numbers are 10207643

Eny Flow Numbers on these heads?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:54 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Yes they can if you close off the wate passages in the corner and open them up for the intake manifold. Welding, milling, and drilling. They're a pretty good head but the conversion costs leave them untouched. Work well in a flat top 350.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Yes they can if you close off the wate passages in the corner and open them up for the intake manifold. Welding, milling, and drilling. They're a pretty good head but the conversion costs leave them untouched. Work well in a flat top 350.
okay So i should go fore the complete gen2 engine there is a few complete engines at work. are the gen2 blocks stronger than the generation1 blocks? and will generation one roller rockers fit on the generation 2 heads? is generation1 valve train the same as on generation2?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
okay So i should go fore the complete gen2 engine there is a few complete engines at work. are the gen2 blocks stronger than the generation1 blocks? and will generation one roller rockers fit on the generation 2 heads? is generation1 valve train the same as on generation2?
The gen 2 block valvetrain is the same except the cam nose. The gen2 blocks almost all came with 2 bolt mains. Id go to 4 bolt splayed mains if you can afford it. Gen2 has better cooling. Optispark can be a pita, id switch it to dis. Upgrade the rod bolts and stock pistons and rods can handle 500hp on a good tune. Port the intake manifold, port the heads, mill the heads, swap the cam and you have a 500hp engine with mostly stock (but worked) parts.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Gen 2 heads will bolt to a Gen 1 block but the coolant passages around cylinders 1 and 7, 2 and 8 will not match the block leaving a coolant leakage path into the valley. Additionally, there are no coolant return passages that mate with a Gen 1 intake manifold while the Gen II intake manifold, GMPP part for a carb, has no coolant return.

At the upper ends of the Gen II head is are the intake holes that mate with the incoming coolant from the pump that enters the block and is immediately rerouted up into the head which then flows from the head down into the block and returns from the front under the inlet passage and back into the pump housing. These are the holes that overlap the valley when this head is put on a GEN I block. These holes can be plugged with weld, I prefer to make an aluminum lozenge that is welded in rather than fill this large hole with weld but either way will work. The head is then milled flat and a smaller hole drilled in the filled area that matches a Gen I head gasket. This plugs the leak path to the valley. This can't be done with a gasket along as over the counter gaskets can't make a seal unless these particular holes are filled. Epoxy could be used but I wouldn't trust to its long term ability to maintain a tight seal through heating and cooling cycles. Also, while a conventional coolant return can be fabricated into the head so a conventional manifold can be used this is a bog effort on odd shaped passages in the cooling jacket making it difficult to do. I prefer to bore a 1 inch hole on one facing end of the head where the vent tube fastened. Then install a 1 inch to #16 AN fitting, route up to a remote thermostat housing than back to the radiator with a conventional return nipple and hose.

While this was common to do back in the 1990's before everybody on the planet was making Chevy performance heads and the GMPP Vortec and Fastburn heads were still relatively unknown today there are simpler and less shop intensive options. To modify a set of GEN II heads on top of the cost of rebuilding them, plus purchasing a GMPP GEN II to carb intake is substantially expensive, comparative to the cost of a performance set of aftermarket modern heads.

I still run a set of GEN IIs on my 350 powered S15 which I built about 10 years ago. But I had the advantage of parts from other projects laying around and the tools, equipment and expertise to modify them myself or access to people with that stuff so cost was not an issue, other than that there is little to recommend going through this process.

Bogie
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Gen 2 heads flow around 210cfm. That is good enough for a 425hp engine with decent intake, cam, compression. LT1 heads were designed in the late 80's and put into production in '92. That is 20 year old technology. The amount of work needed to adapt them to an sbc, and then additional work to get them freshened up is simply not worth it, when there are bolt-on heads available right now that flow 250+cfm for a few hundred dollars more. If you have the means to do the work yourself then go ahead, but otherwise there are better options out there.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

I stand corrected, I guess I missunderstood the original question, thanks for covering for me.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM

gen 2 head are reverse flow coolant and 2 of the water passages are different on the intake

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.