Chevy SB oil pump bolt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Last journal entry: 1965/66 Impala body lines.
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy SB oil pump bolt

Technical question. Somehow in all the switching of old and new parts, I managed to loose the oil pump bolt for my 350 Chevy SB. I know that I can order a new ARP oil pump stud kit, but I'm using a Melling HV pump and tried the bolt from the 97 motor I'm building and it is about 1/4" too long. Can I just go down to the hardware store and buy a 2" grade 8 bolt and washer to replace it or should I get teh ARP stud?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If it were me, I`d get the stud from the start. Also if you haven`t already, get the hardened steel drive rod for your oil pump as recommended. If your building a street machine, the high volume pump isn`t needed and will only eat more power to drive. A stock melling replacement oil pump with some mild porting work will do the job and won`t eat up so much power to drive.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

yes, a grade 8 bolt will work fine, if you have head bolts lying around if IIRC the intermediat length head bolt works also.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Someone recently contributed a post concerning more or less stock rebuilds and using a HV/HP oil pump. I did a search, but did not find it.

The jist of it went like this: On a stock rebuild, the bearing clearances are fairly tight, thus the crank will not be slinging out any considerable amount of oil to splash lube the distributor gear. And that's ok with a stock pump that is not loading the gear too much. But with more load placed on the gear due to a HV/HP pump, the bearing clearances need to be looser to sling enough oil to prevent the additional load on the gear from eating itself up.

I thought the explanation made sense.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: 1965/66 Impala body lines.

pil pump

OK, I can grasp that logic. The build is maybe more or less stock. Block bored 30 over, Scat crank and rods, Clevite CB336P rod bearings. Sealed Power .125 domed pistons, Crane 274 cam, Edelbrock Performer intake and 750 Edelbrock carb. It's going into the 35 you see pictured above which is in the process of a complete rebuild from frame up. I purchased a 350 rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts and the tech recommended the Melling M55-HV pump and drive rod for this build. My formal education is in automotive tech (30 years ago). I've been out of the business for about 20 years and things have sure changed. Much more technical. Anyway Thanks for the replies to date. I'm going to go with the ARP set-up. I just feel more comfortable that way. Can't afford to have the oil pump rattle around in the pan.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.