Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chevy small block 305
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 gmc 1500. View Post
I just bought a fully restored 1977 gmc 1500. the body and interior are in great shape and the motor has a fairly recent rebuild. it has a 305 chevy small block and i am wondering what i can do to up the power in it and the price each upgrade will roughly cost. I would appreciate if you don't post about how the 305 is a waste of time and money and to buy a 350, i like the engine and am interested in adding power to the engine. So far i have looked at a stroker kit (making it a 335), new cams, vortec RSH 1.94 heads, edelbrock 650 carb, holley 300-36 intake, and cat back exhaust. will this be a good setup or should i add or lose anything to it. i am also looking at adding 3.73 rear gears to it. just wondering what someone with a little more knowledge thinks of this and also what cams would be a good choice. thanks
For the cost of stroking the 305 you can build a really great 350. Not that I'm opposed to 305s but on a cost to benefit basis it isn't worth doing this to the 305. You end up with 20 inches less engine, no weight benefit ala 347 vs 351 Ford, all for the same or more cost as a 350.

A stroker crank does not make more torque, the torque is simply a displacement function more equals more, less equals less; PERIOD! The only thing diddling the bore to storke relationship does within a fixed displacement is move the RPM around where the peak occurs, not the amount. Longer stroke lowers the max RPM where the peak occurs, shorter raises that point. For an otherwise idential configuration of parts that's all that's happening.

Bogie